Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Kew Historical Society Inc Kew, Victoria

Founded in 1958, the Kew Historical Society is one of the oldest suburban historical societies in Melbourne. The Society was formed to assist in the preparations for Kew’s 100th Anniversary in 1960. Today, the Society continues to work with local government and other organisations within Kew to stimulate interest in our history and heritage. It publishes, in print and online, information and resources about Kew’s history, as well as organising events relevant to our heritage. The Society cooperates with other historical societies and groups across the City of Boroondara through the Boroondara Historical Societies Association.

Links

Contact Information

location
PO Box 175 Kew Victoria 3101

Contact

Opening Hours

Fridays & Saturdays 11.00am to 1.00pm. Closed in January.

Entry Fee

Free entry

Location

Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

The Kew Historical Society was founded in 1958, and the collection predates and postdates that year. The collection has sometimes grown gradually, or significantly, the latter through key donations (eg The Rogers Collection), or due to events such as the amalgamation of the former City of Kew into the new City of Boroondara in 1994. Many ‘civic’ items were donated before, during or after the amalgamation. These records are digitised by the Kew Historical Society on Victorian Collections for the purposes of education and preservation. If you believe that we have infringed your copyright please contact us and we will remove the material from the site.

Significance

The collection as a whole fulfills the criteria for very strong historical, aesthetic and research significance at a local level. It also has many outstanding associations with state themes, figures and events and quite a few that resonate at a national level. The costume and textiles, map and picture collections each have very strong historical, research and aesthetic significance of their own accord. The degree of their significance is greatly enhanced by all of the comparative criteria: interpretive value, provenance, condition, integrity, rarity and representativeness.

The costume collection has a very high degree of aesthetic significance for its beauty, quality and workmanship. There are some items that are associated with nationally significant designers, or with Kew donors who have made an impact on society at a local and a state level (ie Prue Acton, Jinoel of Melbourne, Oggi Fashion House). The strong degree of provenance and high quality of the design and dressmaking that went into the production of these clothes strengthens the research significance of this sub-collection for those interested in fashion, textiles and dressmaking. This costume collection includes items that date back to the 1850s (patchwork Denbigh quilt) through to the 1980s, and that reflect changing styles, technologies, textiles and production methods.

The picture collection has some items that have high local significance such as the Josiah Barnes photograph ‘Kew proclaimed a city’, which was taken on that day – 10 March 1921, and the ‘Unveiling of the Kew War Memorial’ on August 30 1925 in front of an audience of over 5,000 people and presided over by the Kew Mayor and the Governor of Victoria. Both of these important images also have significance to state and national processes of municipal development and memorializing war. The mayoral portraits (part of the picture collection) have a very high degree of historical and research significance for their associations, enhanced by strong provenance and technical qualities. Eminent photographers took many of the portraits and the subjects are people who have made a significant contribution to the welfare and development of Kew and, in the case of some of the Mayors in this collection, of the state or even the nation. This includes people such as Stanley Argyle (Premier of Victoria 1932-35) and William Kerr (influential businessman and federal government advisor in the early decades of the 20th century). The significance threshold of this sub-collection is therefore likely to be of state significance at the least.

The maps and plans number some 300 or more and include some fascinating and important maps beyond the MMBW sub-collection that, itself, holds some unique items and has been discussed at length in this report. Other much earlier and hand drawn maps such as ‘Back to Kew’ (c.1875) and ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ (undated) are historically fascinating. In the case of ‘Back to Kew’ it is the detail of the built, natural and social landscape of Kew, which was also annotated and added to several times in subsequent decades to show the development of the area. In the case of ‘Site of the first house in Kew Central’ it is the careful recording of the garden layout and the nature of domesticity in these early days of European settlement that is both fascinating and rare to find in any local history collection. While not all the items are original the map and plan collection has a very high degree of historical and research significance.

Provenance for much of the collection is strong, and therefore supportive of its historical, research and interpretive value. Certainly the interpretive capacity for understanding a detailed and nuanced history of Kew on many levels, as well as touching or reflecting on wider stories on a state or national stage is very high.

Russell, Emma, 'Kew Historical Society Significance Assessment | Collection', History@Work, 2018

Cameron Auty 26 April 2016 9:48 AM

Amazing hat collection, these are a great addition to the site - Site admin.

Leave a comment

2438 items

Photograph - Artists of Kew Exhibition, Southesk

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of a group of adults attending an exhibition entitled Artists of Kew. Two people have been identified in the photograph - Cr WHS Dickinson and Alma Figuerola at centre. The location of the exhibition would appear to be at Southesk in Cotham Road. the year has not been identified. Both Miss Figuerola and Cr Dickinson were foundation members of the Kew Historical Society.

Historical information

Kew Historical Society, Alma Figuerola, Cr WHS Dickinson, exhibitions - kew (Vic), southesk - cotham road -Kew (Vic)

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: "Artists of Kew Exhibition. Founder of KHS Cr Dickinson in dark suit. Miss Alma Figrierola [sic] to his left". "KH-97"

Photographs - The Grip of Time, Kew Civic Hall, circa 1973

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two colour polaroid photographs of the sculpture 'The Grip of Time' on the north exterior wall of the Kew Library. At left is the coat of arms of the City of Kew. The sculpture was purchased and donated to the City of Kew by Mrs Laurel Abercrombie. The artwork was created by Peter Schipperheyn.

Photograph - The Cast

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Cast, Unidentified Production, Kew (?)

Inscriptions & Markings

The photograph was originally identified as possibly being the Kew Light Opera Company, however the photograph precedes its foundation. It is more likely to be a performance by a church group.

Photograph - The Cast

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Cast, Unidentified Production, Kew (?)

Inscriptions & Markings

The photograph was originally identified as possibly being the Kew Light Opera Company, however the photograph precedes its foundation. It is more likely to be a performance by a church group.

Photograph - Fancy Dress Social, Kew Presbyterian Church Hall, Kew, 1925

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Group photograph of young men in attendance at a fancy dress social at the Kew Presbyterian Church Hall in 1925. The photo would indicate that the event was a young men only event. The Society has photographs of the event in 1922 and 1925.

Inscriptions & Markings

Later hand: "1925. Annual Fancy Dress Social. Kew Presbyterian Young Men's Bible Class"

Photograph - Fancy Dress Social, Kew Presbyterian Church Hall, Kew, 1922

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Group photograph of participants in a fancy dress social at the Kew Presbyterian Church Hall in 1922. It is believed that the group was the Young Men's Bible Class who held this event annually. The Society has photographs of the event in 1922 and 1925.

Inscriptions & Markings

Later hand: "Masked Fancy Dress Social, Kew Presbyterian Hall, November 1922"

Photograph - Kew Congregational Church, South Esk, circa 1900

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Members of the Kew Congregational Church in front of one of the verandas of Southesk, circa 1900.

Business Cards - Alice Anderson's Motor Garage, 1918-1920

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Three business cards used by Alice Anderson in promoting her Kew garage. The reverse of each card lists the rates of hire. The cards are dated on the reverse as dating from 1918 and 1920.

Significance

Alice Anderson was a pioneering Australian female motor mechanic. These are important primary sources as they date the location and dates of operation of her garages in Kew. They also interestingly list her rates and charges.

Inscriptions & Markings

Old accession numbers - kh-376. A letter accompanying the donation provides the provenance of the business cards.

Photograph - Interior, Kew Congregational Church, Walpole Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photograph, on card, featuring the interior of the Kew Congregational Church. Shows detail of pews, pulpit and ornate brickwork.

Historical information

The first Kew Congregational Church in Walpole Street, was designed by Charles Vickers, and opened in 1860. The second church on the site, designed by the architect Charles Wharton was demolished in 1970s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front: "The Sears Studio" "Melbourne" [printed on mounting board]. Reverse: "P. Inside of Kew Congregational Church"

Photograph - Overton Bible Class Kew, S Chapman Esq.

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A commemorative collection of oval photos with names below arranged around a central photo of S Chapman Esq. E. Mitchell, W. Gall, A. Tonkin,B Keene, , W Waugh, W A Blake, F Walsh, G Lamble, F Loxton, A Scott, A T Glasson, G Vimpani, W Wood, A Halloway, W A Robinson Hon Sec., W McCagheen, P Shier, , , H Lamble, K Pearson, , ,

Historical information

The bible class met at "Overton" the residence of Stanley Chapman at 33 Pakington Street Kew, There is a photograph of Overton on the State Library of Victoria website

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: "Donated to Kew Historical Society by Miss Y Dalton" [1990]

Photograph [copy] - Opening Ceremony, Baby Health Centre, Peel Street (North Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black and white photocopy of a photograph showing mothers, their children sitting on the verandah wall, officials. All mothers wear hats and most of the children.

Historical information

The North Kew Centre was the third established at North Kew. It followed a lease of a house at 50 Willsmere Road. The Peel Street building was designed by Mr Chipperfield. Messrs McIntosh and Taylor were the successful tenderers, the price being 1,240 pounds.

Inscriptions & Markings

Later inscription: "1930 Opening Ceremony Peel St Kew North Baby Health Centre"

Photograph - Reunion ~ Past and Present Members of Kew Presbyterian Young Mens' Bible Class, 1924

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Posed photograph of Reunion of Past and Present Members of Kew Presbyterian Young Men's Bible Class. The men are seated in 5 rows on a raised wooden floor. Wooden board hanging on the wall behind the men reads Presbyterian Church of Victoria. Possibly the church hall with stage curtains

Inscriptions & Markings

On front Reunion Past and Present Members of Kew Presbyterian Young Mens' Bible Class. 1924" On reverse "Reunion Some of the Past and Present Members Oct 1924. Unclear ?YMBC"

Archive File - Collection, Len Baker, World War I & II

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A collection of materials owned by Len Baker who enlisted in the British Army in WWI then migrated to Australia and enlisted in the Australian Army in WWII It includes: 1. photograph of Len Baker in WWI British Army uniform, Certificate of Transfer to Reserve 1918, 2. photograph of Len and Edie Baker's wedding in 1932, 3. letter from St Paul's Church of England East Kew vicarage 1940, 4. letter from City of Kew 1941, 5. a wallet from City of Kew given in WWII, 6. a 2nd Australian Imperial Forces Certificate of Discharge dated 7 May 1941, 7. an Australian Military Forces Volunteer Defence Corp Certificate of Discharge dated 15/3/42 - 9/10/45, 8. a British Passport issued 20 April 1971 from British High Commission Canberra

Archaeological Material - Rusted Horse Shoe, Horse Tramways Shed, High Street (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Horse shoe excavated from the Kew Recreation Centre site [old Council Depot] in High Street, Kew donated by Mr Poulter, City Engineer, City of Kew. The shoe may have been made for one of the horses that pulled the Kew Horse Tram.

Historical information

The site on which the shoe was discovered has had a number of uses before it was a Council Depot. The site is marked on the old Board of Works map as a Tram Shed.

Desk Set - Pen & Ink Stand, circa 1963

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Desk set made of wood from St Paul's Cathedral with an added metal and enamel calendar. A history of the item is stuck on the reverse.

Inscriptions & Markings

"St Paul's Cathedral Melbourne. Foundation stone, 1880; Consecrated, 1891; Spires completed, 1931; Exterior length, 317'; Moorhouse Spire, 317 feet in height. The Bells of St Paul's Cathedral were supported on this timber of English oak from 1891 to 1963 when, during the absence of the bells for tuning in Loughborough, England, the timber was replaced with a steel frame. Refer Cathedral Guide Book, page 10, by Rev Godfrey Kircher"

Tin - Ballard & Bowsers, Butterscotch

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Old lolly tin with an art nouveau design in a darker metal on the lid. The interior contains a floral spray of lily of the valley made from pressed metal. The title is definitely Ballard & Bowsers rather than Callard and Bowsers.

Historical information

Trove contains one newspaper reference to a firm called Ballard & Bowsers. This is in a report on the International Exhibition of 1862. So the company predates the English firm of Callard & Bowsers. Perhaps it is a late Victorian example of piracy of trade names.

Archaeological Materials - Inscribed Moreton Bay Fig Leaves, Hawthorn (Vic)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Dried Moreton Bay fig leaves from the vicinity of Palmer's Punt near Denham Street Hawthorn. Each leaf was inscribed by the historian Dorothy Rogers (sic) before 1973. The leaves are brittle and undated, with the text difficult to decipher.

Inscriptions & Markings

1974.0010.1 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Derham St Haw - vicinity Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood & hut for Punt passengers was still there. KH-355." 1974.0010.2 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Denham St haw - vicinity Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood hut for punt passengers still existed there. A canoe tree in garden from Sir J. Palmer's land. KH-355." 1974.0010.3 "Moreton Bay fig leaf from old tree foot of Denham St leading to Palmer's Punt until 1934 flood there was still there a hut for punt passengers. Canoe tree in gardens from Sir J. Palmer's land. KH-355."

Manuscripts - Visitor Books (6), Fairyland, 1950-62, 1956-57, 1958-59,1959-60, 1962-63, 1963-65

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Six manuscripts which record the names and comments of children and adults to a tourist attraction named Fairyland in Malmsbury Street, Kew. The series includes: 1974.0014.1 (1950-62) 1974.0014.2 (1956-57) 1974.0014.3 (1958-59) 1974.0014.4 (1959-60) 1974.0014.5 (1962-63) 1974.0014.6 (1963-65) 1974.0014-6

Historical information

Fairyland, the home and garden of Jim and Grace Tabulo was a major local, state and international tourist attraction from the 1940s to the mid 1960s. The visitor books record the messages of visitors to the house from the 1940s to the 1960s. The visitor books are believed to have formed part of the Dorothy Rogers Collection which entered the Society's collection following her death in 1973.

Significance

These are the most important primary sources relating to the internationally renowned 'Fairyland' cottage in Malmsbury Street, Kew. Their social significance is that they record in the post war period the values and beliefs of children and adults who visited this historically significant tourist attraction.

Household Textile - Supper cloth

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Square white cotton embroidered supper cloth with pink hollyhocks and grass with blue crosses.

Household Textile - Throw

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Square white cotton voile throw

Household Textile - Pillow Cover

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Rectangular white cotton cut work pillow cover with applied lace

Household Textile - Bolster Cover

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Rectangular white cotton embroidered bolster cover

Household Textile - Tray cloth

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White embroidered cotton rectangular tray cloth with applied lace edge.

Household Textile - Doily

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Circular white cotton doily Coloured embroidery with tatted edge. Embroidered blue basket of flowers with pink roses and green scrolls with pink roses

Textile - Tray cloth

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Rectangular white cotton tray cloth. Cut work with worked edge

Household Textile - Tray cloth

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Rectangular white cotton tray cloth. With worked lace border, cut lace inset

Household Textile - Doily

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Circular white cotton doily. With applied lace.

Household Textile - Runner

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White cotton runner. Inserted lace and edged with applied lace.

Household Textile - Tray Cloth

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White tray cloth with cut stitch border, edged with applied lace, gathered at corners.

Household Textile - Tray Cloth

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Embroidered tray cloth. Pink and yellow flowers in each corner.

Household Textile - Pair of Embroidered Cotton Table Runners

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Off white cotton cross stitched table runner. Crotcheted edge in brown and pink. Rectangular with triangular ends. Cross stitch design in pink and brown with a few blue stitches.

Household Textile - Doily

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Round white cotton doily with crocheted border

Household Textile - Tea Cosy Cover

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White linen embroidered tea cosy cover. Broderie Anglais. Crotcheted edge

Household Textile - Table Runner

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White linen runner Crotcheted edge

Household Textile - Doily

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White circular embroidered doily with crocheted lace edging. Three violet pansies with white leaves. Possible Semco kit Punctured holes.

Household Textile - Sandwich Tray Doily

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Beige embroidered oval doily with crotcheted lace edging. Crotcheted through fabric. Roses and rosebuds. Holes obtained from crochet hook. Possible Semco kit, some of printed design still visible

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Household Textile - Handkerchief

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Square white linen handkerchief with triangular lace edging on all four corners. Central cloth

Household Textile - Handkerchief sachet

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White cotton embroidered handkerchief sachet with

Household Textile - Guest hand towel

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White linen hand towel. Embroidered one end scalloped, edged the other. Embroidered with MAK. Salvage both sides.

Household Textile

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Compass

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Circular compass, marked by degree to 360. Metal case with cracked glass upper surface. Metal ? with brass pivot. North marked by an exterior metal knob

Inscriptions & Markings

Interior labelled with N,S,E, and W in large print. NW, NE, SE and SW in smaller print. Outer circle marks the degrees, notated in 20 degree steps Numbered KH311

Container - Boomerang-shaped Dish, Metal, circa 1890

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Diecast metal plate. Impressed with the figure of a naked figure with a wand in his or her hand touching the nose of a head (the moon?), causing it to sneeze. Lady lying on a bed of flowers. Three stoppers on the reverse to hold the plate above the surface.

Inscriptions & Markings

Numbered KH 374

Document - Certificate of Qualification, Mental Attendant, Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria), 1945

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that Herbert Joseph Chambers has completed training and passed examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant. The document, dated 19th December 1945 is signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Photograph [copy] - Hebert Joseph Chambers, Sydney, 1962

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small copy of an original photograph of Herbert Joseph Chambers, a member of the male staff of the Kew Mental Hospital, standing between two unidentified men at Circular Quay, Sydney. The donor believes his father, Herbery Chambers, was in Sydney attending a conference in 1962.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Notebook - SP Bookie's Record Book

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small notebook, of which the cover is lost, including the names of male and female staff members at the Kew Mental Hospital, the amounts that they gambled and their winnings. It is presumed that the record was kept by Herbert Joseph Chambers, a member of staff between c.1945-70. The names in the book, including some of their aliases are arranged alphabetically. The prices are listed in pre-decimal currency, (i.e. before 1966). From the number of names listed in the book, it must have been a very extensive SP betting ring.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Artworks - Sketchbook Imperial 4to / by Kenn'th Bailey

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

One of five sketchbooks with illustrations by Kennth Bailey, a patient of the Kew Mental Hospital in an art therapy program, during the 1950s or 1960s. No work is dated although a number of the drawings/paintings are signed with the artist's name.

Historical information

Herbert Joseph Chambers was born in 1912 in Clifton Hill, Victoria. Later he was to live in Clark and Charles Streets in Northcote, in South Caulfield, and finally in Mentone. While he may have worked at the Kew Asylum before 1945, that year was when he was presented with a Certificate issued by the Department of Mental Hygiene (Victoria) declaring that he had completed training and passed the examinations required to work as a 'Mental Attendant’. The document is dated 19th December 1945 and signed by the Director of the Department and by the Co-Examiners. From at least 1945, he was to work as a member of the male staff of the Asylum, mainly in the Refractory Ward. A donor gifted to the Kew Historical Society in February 2019 a number of items collected by Herbert Chambers in his work at the Asylum. These include his Certificate of Registration, a photograph taken of him with two colleagues at Circular Quay in Sydney, a notebook containing ‘SP’ betting records of male asylum staff, and five sketchbooks with artwork created by Kenn’th [sic] Bailey, a patient of the Asylum. Herbert Chambers’ period of employment at the Kew Asylum coincided with the employment of the English psychiatrist Dr Eric Cunningham Dax (1908-2008) as Chairman of the Mental Hygiene Authority in 1952. Dr Dax introduced an art therapy program into Victorian psychiatric hospitals, including Kew, where it is likely that the five sketchbooks were created. The sketchbooks are believed to have been presented to Chambers by Bailey as a “gift for looking after him”. Herbert Chambers retired from the Kew Asylum in c.1970 after working there for almost thirty years.

Significance

The Kew Historical Society has been the recipient of a number of important collections relating to the Kew Mental Hospital and the Children's Cottages, Kew, including their former incarnations. This is an important donation in this context as it includes five sketchbooks by a patient in an art therapy program at the Hospital. Art therapy programs were introduced by Dr Eric Cunningham Dax to Victorian asylums in the 1950s. The sketchbooks contain incomplete drawings and finished artworks. The donor believes that the patient who created the sketchbooks suffered from Schizophrenia. The sketchbooks are historically significant as representative examples of works created by patients in the program and for what they reveal about how mental illness may be manifested in a patient's artworks. The most significant repository of comparable works is held by the Dax Centre at Melbourne University.

Wallet - James Griffin, Edgbaston ~ Brown Leather Lockable Flap Wallet

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Brown leather wallet with inserted gussets to side and brass plate with lock to front and a fold over flap with brass fitting which clips shut and can be locked and leather double stitched casing to back for inserting a belt with key to lock inside.

Historical information

Edgbaston is now an affluent suburb of Birmingham. The relation of the owner, James Griffin, to the donor (a resident of Kew) has not been identified. 'The Gentleman's Magazine' of 1845 contains a reference to the death of Mary, aged 12, at Brighton, the daughter of James Griffin of Edgbaston and of Withymoor Works, Dudley. (p.325). Coincidentally, James Griffin, a manufacturer of Withymoor Works was issued with a patent for his improvements in the manufacture of "spades, shovels, and such like tools" on 5 October 1843. Withymoor Works was owned by James Griffin & Son

Inscriptions & Markings

Engraved on lock: "James Griffin, Edgbaston"

Desk Set - Inkstand: Wrought Iron, Glass, Ceramic, circa 1890

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Wrought iron inkstand consisting of two heavy glass ink wells with china inserts and one iron lid.

Significance

Believed to be used at a Kew Baby Health Centre

Inscriptions & Markings

Base:Rd.No. 519422. Lid:Rd.No.512422.

Photograph - 'Copy Shop', Old Masonic Hall, Walpole Street (Kew), 1970s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two polaroid photographs, Thea Sartori in a red jumper is in both photographs. Another person identified in one photo is Aileen Cahill. Both photos were taken at the 'Copy Shop' in the old Masonic Hall (now demolished).

Historical information

The Copy Shop was a community organised facility.

Inscriptions & Markings

front: "Copy Shop"

Photograph - Railway Viaduct, Kew (Vic), 1919

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of Outer Circle Railway Bridge over River Yarra, Fairfield. Looking toward Lugton Street, showing fence underneath taken from the Chandler Highway.

Historical information

Bridge designed by John Monash

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: Outer Circle Railway Bridge over River Yarra Fairfield, H0276, Property of Miss Foley

Baton - Volunteer Constable's Truncheon, 1926

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Wooden truncheon with cord loop to handle used by volunteer constables during 1926 Police Strike. Issued to Leslie J Robertson of Sackville St Kew

Historical information

Used by volunteer constables during 1926 Police strike. Issued to Leslie J Robertson of Sackville St Kew to assist in protecting the stores in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne

Photographs - Grip of Time, Kew Civic Hall, Cotham Road (Kew), 1983

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Four photos of the presentation of 'The Grip of Time' to the City of Kew by Mrs Laurel Abercrombie. Sculpture by Peter Schipperheyn. Sculpture mounted on the north wall of the Kew Library.

Photograph - Outer Circle Railway Bridge over River Yarra

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black & white photograph of the railway viaduct over Yarra River looking south towards Kew.

Historical information

This photograph forms part of the Eric Sibly collection of images and information relating to the Outer Circle Railway which he donated to the Kew Historical Society in 1974. Heritage Victoria Citation (Abridged) "The Chandler Highway Bridge, a 137 metre wrought iron lattice-truss girder bridge with four spans supported on red brick piers with moulded bluestone cappings. The bridge has a cantilevered walkway along the west side. ...The Chandler Highway Bridge crosses the Yarra River and connects Alphington and Kew. It was completed in November 1890 as part of the Outer Circle Railway Line.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse: "Pre 1930. Outer Circle Railway Bridge over River Yarra (now Chandler Highway) - note bridge over line on Kew side for Asylum Farm". KH - 56. Kew Historical Society.

Souvenir - Travel Souvenir, Toy Llifebuoy, R.M.S. China

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Wooden lifebuoy with external cord attached by cotton tape.

Inscriptions & Markings

Souvenir of RMS China painted on lifebuoy along with the two flags

Photograph - Main Street, Kew

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black & white photograph of a postcard showing Main [High] Street, Kew looking south west showing horse drawn tram centre.

Historical information

Image copied from older postcard (c.1890-1900) showing horse drawn vehicles and a horse tram. Since then, the southern side of the street has been widened. Businesses identified in the photograph include the Ryan's Council Family Hotel, the Greyhound Hotel, the Clifton Hotel, the ES&A Bank and Jellis' Bakery.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse - "High St Kew looking down from Post Office to Kew Junction"

Audiovisual - The Outer Circle: Melbourne's forgotten railway

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

2-DVD set on Outer Circle Railway.

Historical information

Documentary on the Outer Circle Railway, which ran from Oakleigh to Fairfield, and was opened in 1891, with the last train running in 1943. Features Dr David Beardsall, Dr Crystal Legacy, Rod Atkins, Kevin O'Shaughnessy, Sr Helen-Mary Langlands

Costume - Wedding Dress, Swiss Guipure Lace, 1969

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White slim line lace wedding dress, featuring eleven self-covered buttons down centre back Off centre rear opening done up by metal press studs. The dress has a silk satin lining and netting underskirt.

Historical information

Golda Whelan, a designer with Hartnell of Melbourne designed this frock for her daughter Liane Whelan. Liane married John Merry at St John's Anglican Church in Toorak in 1969

Significance

The dress was manufactured in the 'house' of Hartnell of Melbourne, a leading Melbourne Fashion House in the 1950s and the 1960s.

Artwork - "South Wing" - Xavier College / by Joy Stewart, 1978

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pen and wash drawing, set in an external card mount, depicting the south wing of Xavier College, Kew by Joy Stewart.

Significance

Joy Stewart was born in Melbourne 1925. She studied at Swinburne Technical College Art School from 1941-1945, then the National Gallery Art School 1946-1948. Her career included employment positions as a display artist, designer/painter, gallery assistant, and art teacher. Joy relocated to Cairns in 1981. Solo exhibitions in Melbourne and Cairns, including 'Done By Me' at Cairns Regional Gallery in 1999. Group exhibitions at Cairns Regional Gallery, 'The Fish John West Regrets, 1993' and 'Facets of Life' 1994.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription: "South Wing" - Xavier College." Signed lower right: "JStewart 78".

Containers - [Pair of plastic milk bottles, Model Dairy, circa 1960]

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pair of plastic milk bottles, designated on the front as to be used in the refigerator on on picnics. One bottle has a red screw on lid and the other a green lid. The bottles are semi-transparent. [The record also includes a photograph of Vic Sabaliauskas, provided by his son. The photograph dates from the period when he was employed at the Model Dairy].

Historical information

This pair of milk bottles, produced for the Model Dairy in Cotham Road, Kew, were donated by Vik Sabaliauskas. They belonged to his father who worked at Model Dairy in the 1950s and 1960s. Vik wrote about his father: "As for my father, his whole life story is interesting. He was part of the big immigration program after WW2. He was a displaced person in Germany like lots of others who came out looking for a new life. Our family name is actually SABALIAUSKAS which is of Lithuanian descent. My Dad was also named Vik (Viktoras). He was known as Big Vik and I was little Vik. He arrived in Australia in 1947 and then did his 2 years of work organised by the Government and then he came to Melbourne. We lived in Tyler St Preston and he rode his pushbike to and from Kew every working day for years. In my estimation that was about 13 kms for about 6 or 7 years. Imagine that happening today. Freezing Winter mornings and hot Summer afternoons. His English was poor but he had a great work ethic like all European immigrants. His duties related to maintaining and operating all the machines. One story that he told me about was that after I was born (in 1959) he made friends with one of the drivers who delivered milk to the dairy. He asked him to get a container of milk from the farmer everyday which was just for me. I remember going to the Model Dairy Family Christmas parties which were always well patronised. I also remember visiting him in the PANCH Hospital (Bell Street Preston) where he was treated for kidney stones caused by drinking very creamy milk. He wasn't happy when he was told by the doctor to cut back on milk. My Dad was one month short of his 95th birthday when he died and he lived a pretty healthy life." (2019)

Inscriptions & Markings

Impressed on the front of both bottles: "Unbreakable picnic and refrigerator bottle made expressly for Model Dairy Pty Ltd Cotham Rd Kew"

Personal Effects - Handkerchief sachet

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Padded purple silk handkerchief bag/sachet with pink braiding and applied lace. The sachet contains three handkerchiefs bordered with lace.

Newspaper article - Kew Floral, Art & Industrial Society

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Article describing this 1897 local exhibition of art and industry, opened by the Mayor of Kew, Job Smith, which includes notable attendees and the award winning contestants.

Document - Certificate of Exemption from Compulsory Attendance No,18744, 1891

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Certificate of Exemption published by the Education Department, Victoria, stating that Amy Grigg had completed the required years of schooling under The Education Act 1872.

Certificates - The Kew Floral, Industrial & Art Society, 1889

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Five certificates awarded to Amy Grigg of Pakington Street Kew in competition for prizes awarded by the Society. The certificates are stored in the 'Kew Floral, Indutrial & Art Society' archive file with other items relating to Amy Watson (née Grigg) the mother of Joy Ivory. A supporting document, a newspaper article from 1889, accompanies the documents.

Historical information

The exact dates in which the Kew Floral, Industrial and Arts Society flourished is unclear. We do know however that it was part of a more widespread series of completions involving 'juveniles' from church Sunday schools in the 1880s and 1890s. The newspaper article which is part of this collection of documents, while undated, states that the exhibition grew out of the activities of the Congregational Church Sunday School in Walpole Street, Kew (Vic)

Significance

The items in the Amy Grigg collection, including awards, items of appliqué and embroideries etc reveal much about the artistic and social activities in a suburb like Kew in the late 1880s.

Costume - Embroidered Vest Tunic, 1970s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black wool vest with a lace up front. The vest is heavily embroidered in an abstract multicoloured floral motifs. It is lined with a fine olive green silk.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Costume - Evening Dress: Cream Silk, 1970s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Cream silk evening dress with applied ribbon and flowers. The dress has a high round neck and buttoned sleeves and cuffs. It has a zip at the back with hooks and eyes at the neck.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Textile - Matyo Apron, Northeast Hungary

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Rectangular apron worked in three panels, the lower two of which are backed. The waist tie is of a floral fabric. The tape is attached to both vertical sides. There is a black fringe attached to the bottom panel over floral printed fabric. The needlework techniques employed in the embroidery include flat stitch which is used to create the effect of quilting and creating large brightly coloured flowers in the middle section.

Historical information

The Matyó region of Hungary, which includes Mezökövesd is known for its rich costume traditions, specifically embroidery. Matyó embroidery is a densely-patterned style of free-hand work in rich and colorful floral motifs. Its prime era was the 1860s and 1870s when the folk arts thrived. This example characterizes the dynamic color combinations and flower varieties of the Matyó tradition.

Significance

The textile is part of a large and significant collection of items donated by Rosemary Vaughan-Smith, past member and office-bearer of the Kew Historical Society. between 2005-12. The collection includes costumes, scrapbooks, autograph books, artworks and objects.

Textile - Paisley Shawl, 20th century

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Machine woven paisley shawl, based on traditional hand-woven Kashmiri designs, produced in large numbers in Europe in the second half of the 19th and also in the 20th centuries. The first mechanised production of such shawls was made possible by the invention of the Jacquard loom in France in the 1820s.

Textile - Japanese embroidered panel

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Multi-coloured silk embroidery on a deep pink silk backing fabric of vines, flowers and leaves, featuring a central embroidered medallion of pheasants amongst wisteria blossoms. The pink silk base fabric has condition problems including damage due to exposure and folding. There may be some evidence of shattered silk.

Historical information

The textile is part of a large and significant collection of items donated by Rosemary Vaughan-Smith, past member and office-bearer of the Kew Historical Society. between 2005-12. The collection includes costumes, scrapbooks, autograph books, artworks and objects.

Textile - Souvenir of Palestine, circa 1939-45

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Rectangular blue faded to grey velveteen water damaged textile with a plain white cotton backing with a red fringe. The front of the textile is embroidered in red, yellow, blue and white chain stitch. It shows two palms flanking the Mosque of Omar lower centre with three camels and a man on a horse below, Rachel's Tomb with tree upper left and David's Tower upper right.

Historical information

Souvenir probably bought by an Australian soldier in the 2nd A.I.F., and brought back to Australia as a souvenir.

Inscriptions & Markings

"Souvenir of Palestine"; "Rachels tomb"; "Mosque of Omar"; "David's Tower"

Textile - Scarf, embroidered with a needle, north Indian, 19th century

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

North Indian scarf [or girdle], hand-loomed of fine wool and heavily embroidered by needle at the ends and sides with multicoloured silk thread surrounding the central rectangular black field. The highly detailed embroidery includes stylised images of foliage and flowers. There is old damage to parts of the textile.

Historical information

The embroidered scarf was donated to the Kew Historical Society by Janet Gibson.

Textile - Panel: Cotton Applique on Linen, 19th Century

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Textile comprised of five panels which are all appliquéd by hand in herringbone stitch using a range of decorative figurative motifs of varying sizes and shapes including flora and fauna. The base textile is a cream linen while the appliquéd figures or shapes are made of printed cotton. The quality of the herringbone stitching is very fine. Additional embroidery in red wool is more amateurish. The main panel is bordered by a narrow green and ecru braid. It has a narrow tan braid at the top and bottom of the two side panels. A surrounding tan braid around the entire textile is missing in some places. The textile shows evidence of being used as a decorative hanging.

Costume - Blue Woollen Two-Piece Suit, 1960s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Navy blue heavy woollen suit comprising a short waist-length jacket and skirt.

Costume - Cocktail Dress: Gold Satin with Beading on the Bodice / by Phil Bacon, 1950s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Gold satin cocktail dress, gathered at the waist with beading on the bodice, designed by Phyl Bacon.

Historical information

Phil Bacon was one of a number of Melbourne fashion designers who emerged in Melbourne following the Second World War.The outfit was once owned and worn by a resident of East Kew.

Costume - Uniform for Female Librarians, Kew Library, 1980

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Royal blue Kew Library uniform, manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear made of 65% polyester and 35% rayon. The uniform is closed by a zip.

Historical information

Female librarians at the Kew Municipal Library in the City of Kew (Vic) were in the past required to wear standard royal blue uniforms. This uniform, the earlier of two in the collection was manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear.

Costume - Uniform for Female Librarians, Kew Library, 1972

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Royal blue Kew Library uniform, manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear. The fabric is 65% polyester and 45% viscose. It is buttoned at the front.

Historical information

Female librarians at the Kew Municipal Library in the City of Kew (Vic) were in the past required to wear standard royal blue uniforms. This uniform, the earlier of two in the collection was manufactured by Neat & Trim Career Wear.

Costume - Minicrini: Blue Wool / by Vivienne Westwood, 1980s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Blue woollen 'minicrini' by the British designer Vivienne Westwood. The items was donated by Annie McIntyre and worn with an accompanying Westwoood twinset.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by women in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Inscriptions & Markings

A note written by Dione McIntyre accompanying the item describes its relevance and use: "Vivienne Westwood 3-piece ensemble purchased in London in the 1980s - consisting of navy 'twin set' and balloon skirt - worn with long white socks and dark flat shoes. Donated by Annie McIntyre."

Costume - Twin Set : Blue Wool with Embroidered Logo / by Vivienne Westwood, 1980s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Navy blue woollen twin set designed by Vivienne Westwood. The twin set was worn with a wool minicrini by the same designer.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Inscriptions & Markings

A note written by Dione McIntyre accompanying the item describes its relevance and use: "Vivienne Westwood 3-piece ensemble purchased in London in the 1980s - consisting of navy 'twin set' and balloon skirt - worn with long white socks and dark flat shoes. Donated by Annie McIntyre."

Costume - Evening Wear: Long Dress & Pants, Silver Lamé, Jinoel of Melbourne, 1960s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Round-necked and sleeveless floor-length silver Lamé evening dress and pants by Jinoel of Melbourne. The loose dress features a long split up the side, through which the pants can be seen.

Historical information

Jinoel of Melbourne was a fashion company founded by Jill and Noel Kemelfield in 1957. The company won Gown of the Year in 1968.

Significance

The McIntyre Collection of women's clothing and clothing accessories forms one of the largest single donations to the Kew Historical Society's costume collection. The Collection was assembled by Dione McIntyre, and her daughter Annie McIntyre, and donated in stages during the first decade of the 21st century. Items in the McIntyre Collection include clothing and clothing accessories worn by four women in the Cohen and McIntyre families across three generations. Most of the items in the McIntyre Collection were owned and worn by the Melbourne architect, and Kew resident, Dione McIntyre. These mainly date from the 1960s and 1970s, and include evening wear, day wear, hats and shoes. Examples of clothing worn by her range from a Norma Tullo mini-dress to elegant, tailored evening wear by Jinoel of Melbourne. As Dione McIntyre often accompanied her husband, fellow architect Peter McIntyre, to formal events, there are a number of pieces of high-quality evening wear among the items donated. The McIntyre Collection also includes items worn by woman in the family of an earlier generation: by Lilian Cohen, Dione McIntyre's mother, and by her mother-in-law, the wife of the architect Robert McIntyre. At the other end of the chronological spectrum are a number of outfits belonging to, worn and donated by Annie McIntyre. These include outfits created by notable late 20th century Australian and international fashion designers such as Fiona Scanlan, Martin Grant and Vivienne Westwood. The McIntyre Collection is significant historically and artistically in that it includes examples of design that demonstrate changing tastes in fashion over an 80-year period. The collection is particularly important in that it includes the work of a large number of Melbourne fashion designers from the 1960s to the 1980s. This work is both representative, and now often rare.

Costume - Evening Dress, Brown & Gold Acetate, 1980

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Brown acetate evening gown, and floor-length evening coat retailed by Bianca, Sydney, and manufactured under licence to Henry Chavan, Lyon & Paris. The sheer fabric of the coat is decorated by the use of pile weave, forming a floral pattern of velvet outlined in gold thread.

Historical information

This example of evening wear from 1980 is one of two pieces in the collection owned and worn by Kaye Cole.This dress was bought for and worn by Cr Kaye Cole, Mayor of Kew 1979/80, to a Mayoral Dinner on Friday 25 July 1980. An accompanying seating plan lists the attendees including the Governor of Victoria, the Victorian Premier, State and Federal parliamentary representatives and distinguished guests from neighbouring municipalities. The evening dress was donated to the Society by Kaye Cole on the occasion of an interview on 6 August 2018 relating to the period on which she served on Kew Council as a representative of North Ward (1973-6) and Prospect Ward (1978-85) and her achievements as mayor.

Significance

The dress is extremely well provenance and can be linked to an important event in Kew's history.

Costume - Cocktail Dress & Coat: Satin & Organza, 1960s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Gold embroidered dress and organza coat, the latter held by a large button at the neck. The outfit is part of the Sartori collection donated in 2006.

Costume - Evening Dress, Floral Crepe, 1930s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Full length floral crepe evening dress with squared neck and short puffed sleeves.

Costume - Dress: Blue Rayon with Full Pleated Skirt, 1950s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Sky blue ballerina length dress

Costume - Outerwear, Sanfor, 1930s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

White cotton apron dress with blue trim, with a label on the inside collar "Sanfor". Sanfor refers to Sanforization which was a process used to treat cotton fabrics, patented by Sanford Lockwood Cluett (1874–1968) in 1930. It is a method of stretching, shrinking and fixing the woven cloth in both length and width before cutting and producing, to reduce the shrinkage which would otherwise occur after washing. The items was donated by Teresa Mayer.

Costume - Red Lace Evening Dress, & Matching Red Velvet Jacket, 1930s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Long burgundy machine-made lace evening dress with a separate red underslip. The dress is currently paired with a red velvet jacket and belt which it is believed was part of the original donation by Teresa Mayer.

Costume - Dress: Pink Floral Voile / attrib., Miss Moonies Shop, 1930s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pink floral voile day dress, beloved to have been bought from the Miss Moonies Shop in Melbourne. The dress has a tie at the waist in the same fabric ending in small wooden clogs. Th dress was donated by Elaine Chenoweth.

Costume - Dress - Purple Rayon / by Scotchco of Melbourne, 1950s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Plum coloured single piece dress, belted at the waist, with a belt covered with the same fabric. It has pearl buttons. The dress was retailed by Scotchco of Melbourne

Costume - Cocktail Dress: Beige Crepe / by Deja Petite, 1960s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Beige tricel and viscose knee-length cocktail dress with pleating and an abstract fabric flower of the same material on the right front. The dress was retailed by Deja Petite of Melbourne.

Costume - Cocktail Dress: Grey Silk & Lace, Margeaux of Melbourne, 1950s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Knee length short sleeved grey silk and grey tulle cocktail dress with an attached outer covering of patterned lace of a lighter grey colour. The garment has the label of ‘Margeaux Regd. Imported fabric’. There is a zip at the back. There is some discoloration (due to sun damage?) to the lace at the shoulders. Margeaux specialised in the production of "high-class cocktail and evening wear" (The Age, 17 March 1956).

Costume - Evening Dress: Green Crepe

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Long lime green crepe evening dress with a silk lining of the same colour. At the neckline is a narrow band of pale brown/pink commercial lace. The very narrow shoulder straps are a similar shade of brown/pink. The dress features a closure at the back that is fastened with press-studs.

Tableware - Coffee Set: French Porcelain, 19th Century

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Continental porcelain coffee set of 5 cups, 6 saucers, a coffee pot, sugar bowl & lid and matching tray, once owned by the Dods family and donated in 2006.

Significance

An item of historical interest donated by members of the Dods family in 2006. The Dods-Ferguson Collection includes a number of items once in the possession of the families related to or descended from two mayors of Kew: Cr. Hugh Ferguson and Cr. Frederick Dods.

Ephemera - Red Leather Bookmark, United Sunday Schools' Demonstration, Melbourne, 6 May 1901

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Embossed red leather bookmark commemorating the 'United Sunday Schools Demonstration' in St Kilda Road in 1901 to welcome the Prince and Princess of Wales to open the first Commonwealth Parliament in the Royal Exhibition Building.

Historical information

SUNDAY SCHOOL DEMONSTRATION. With three times three we coo-ee, The Prince we meet again; Our Princess May we welcome, With heart and voice amain. This was the welcome of the children of the Melbourne Sunday schools. The greeting came from over 30,000 youthful voices to the accompaniment of as many waving flags of diminutive size, held by the children. Probably not one of those who sang so lustily had witnessed the previous visit of his Royal Highness; or knew anything of it except as a traditional event, but the sentiment was a good and proper one all the same. The children were massed on the rising ground in the Domain, and apparently the long wait was not at all wearying. It was to most of them a huge picnic. They lunched on the grass, and filled in the intervening lime with games such as the juvenile heart delights in. At intervals something approaching order, was observed, and then songs, which have been in rehearsal for some weeks past, were sung under the baton of Mr. D. R. Davies, musical director, and to the lead of a united brass band of over a hundred instrumentalists under Bandmaster E; T. Code. A solo was also sung by Mr. H. J. Floyd. At all times the scene was an exceedingly animated one. Most of the children were attired in light costumes, and those in whose dress there was some color provided the necessary variety to make up a most picturesque scene. Probably there were nearly 35,000 adults and children at this spot. They occupied the frontage to St. Kilda-road, from Government House gates to the intersecting thoroughfare beyond. As the children were confined to the high ground, there was a green strip in front of them, and the dark green of the fir trees at the top of the slope made a most suitable background. Between these two lines of even coloring the children, with the easy freedom of youth, made perhaps as pretty a feature of the pageant as could be found anywhere in the whole route of the procession." (The Age, Tues 7 May 1901, p.6)

Significance

This tiny battered piece of ephemera recording the United Sunday School Demonstration of 1901 must once have been exceedingly common, however in the context of the growing collection that the Society has relating to the opening of the first Commonwealth Parliament in Melbourne it has historic and social significance.

Inscriptions & Markings

"United Sunday Schools Demonstration, Melbourne Australia, Melbourne May 6 1901"

Glasses - Decimal Currency Conversion Glasses, circa 1966

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pair of transfer printed glasses with decimal currency converters printed on them.

Historical information

Presumably made around the time that Australia switched from Imperial to Decimal Currency in 1966 to aid the householder make quick conversions.

Inscriptions & Markings

See image

Bookends - Pair of Bookends, Wood, 1930s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pair of matching wooden bookends featuring a yacht against clouds and an orange sky.

Weighing Instrument - Pocket Balance: MR Product [Made in Australia}

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small hanging scales at the top of which there is a metallic ring to fasten the object. This is attached to the main body which on one side has measurements inscribed into the metal surface. Inside the body is a spring loaded mechanism which moves along the scales when weight is added to a hook at the bottom of the shaft. [Ed. The maker's initials have not to date been identified.]

Inscriptions & Markings

"Pocket Balance / MR Product / Made in Australia"

Photograph - No.2 [Steam] Roller, Kew City Council

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small black and white photograph of a steamroller used by the City of Kew in road construction from the 1930s to the 1950s.

Inscriptions & Markings

Reverse of photo: "KCC No 2 Roller 607S". Accompanying note: "20/3/84 Gift to the Society from Mr [?] who was K.C.C. [Kew City Council] driver of this "monster". Kew City Council No.2 Roller. Used in street construction 1950. Roller probably 1930 era."

Footwear Accessory - Boot hook: Bone, Chrome & Steel

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Small chrome plated steel hook with bone panels riveted to either side of the handle.

Scrapbook - Scrapbook: Newspaper Articles / compiled by Dorothy Rogers, 1934

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Leather bound scrapbook, part of the Dorthy Rogers Collection, embossed in gilt with the initials "G.S. Melbourne" on the cover. The folding of the pages allows for reading from the font or back. The scrapbook includes early newspaper cuttings dating from the 1930s.

Historical information

Following the death of the Dorothy Rogers, a donation of material relating to the historian and her family was made to the Historical Society by her sons. The minutes of the Society record that they were originally placed with the City of Kew for safekeeping. The Society's minutes record gradual discoveries of items from the collection, including this scrapbook, by later researchers.

Significance

,

Photographic Negative - Lithograph: John Hodgson / by Ludwig Becker (1808-?61)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photographic negative of a lithograph of the Melbourne and Studley Park pioneer John Hodgson, accompanied by a letter from the donor, Jean Uhl.

Historical information

Donation includes a letter, dated 12 June 1983 from June Uhl to Mrs [Thea] Sartori referring to research about John Hodgson and the naming of Studley Park.

Inscriptions & Markings

Envelope: "John Hodgson painted* by Ludwig Becker 1855. Photographed by State Library of Victoria from original held by Royal Historical Society of Victoria. Kew Historical Society from Jean Uhl." Editor note: Incorrect attribution. The Becker oil painting is held in the City Collection, City of Melbourne. This negative is of a lithograph based on a drawing of Hodgson, made by L. Becker circa 1855.

Architectural Fragments - Chips From Old Law Courts, Russell Street (Melb)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Matchbox containing architectural fragments from the old law courts [Supreme Court] in Russell Street. The matchbox has a label on the front and more detailed information included in a note inside the box. The item is believed to have belonged to the historian Dorothy Rogers.

Historical information

The law court buildings on the corner of Russell and La Trobe Streets (Melbourne) were later to house the Supreme Court of Victoria. The law courts were built in 1842. The inscription by Dorothy Rogers [sic] incorrectly describes the builders as Swanson Bros., who instead were the builders of the later Magistrates Court on the same site.

Inscriptions & Markings

Exterior "Chips from the old law courts Russell St." Inside: "Court House built by Swanson Bros in 1842 of Moorabool Stone & opened 1st time [sic] in 1843. Stone composed of tiny shells".

Medallion - Vice President, Kew Heights Bowling Club

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pendant medallion hanging from a blue enamel bar with the title 'Vice President'. The green red and gold medallion of the Kew Heights Bowling Club includes a centrally positioned representation of an eagle holding a bowling ball.

Historical information

Vice President medallion belonging to Saul Spielmann donated to the Society by his wife Shirley.

Medallion - Secretary, Kew Bowling Club

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Pendant medallion hanging from a blue enamel bar with the title 'SECRETARY' The medallion is in green, red, black and gold enamel, the colours of the Kew Bowling Club..

Historical information

Secretary's medallion belonging to Saul Spielmann donated to the Society's by his wife Shirley.

Medallions - Life Member, Kew & Kew Heights Bowling Clubs

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Black enamel bar with the words 'LIFE MEMBER' highlighted in gold. From the bar hang two multicoloured enamel medallions, the earlier for the Kew Bowling Club and the latter for the Kew Heights Bowling Club.

Historical information

Life membership medallions belonging to Saul Spielmann, donated to the Society by his wife Shirley in 2016.

Trophies - Embossed Glass Trophies, Kew Bowling Club

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

2 glasses awarded as trophies to Saul Spielmann

Bell - Hand Bell, Brass & Wood, Lioness Club of Kew

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Brass hand bell used as a gong by the Lioness Club of Kew (1979-1988), engraved with the names of their past presidents. The wooden striker was made by Ray Boothroyd at a later date.

Historical information

Following the dissolution of the Club in 1988, the bell was donated to the Kew Historical Society by Prue Molnar.

Dinnerware - Cups & Saucers, City of Kew

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A large collection of cups and saucers, each bearing a transfer pattern of the City of Kew logo. There are 31 cups and 44 saucers.

Historical information

Cups and saucers used at functions by the former City of Kew, before 1994.

Dinnerware - Tea Cup, Saucer & Plate, Ridgways, circa 1880

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Glazed earthenware tea cup, saucer and plate with transfer printed decoration, using the 'Hawthornden' pattern by Ridgways. The underneath of each item bears the maker's mark and a pattern registration date for April 1880.

Photograph - Framed Print: His Majesty King George V / after John Berrie

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Large official framed colour print of King George V in military uniform. The linked article by Laura Cook, published by the AWM in 2017 gives a history of the original Berrie portrait and reproductions.

Historical information

The original oil portrait is held by the Australian War Memorial.

Inscriptions & Markings

"His Majesty King George V"

Cerificate - Award of Appreciation: Kew Historical Society, 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Framed certificate awarded to the Society by the RHSV recognising 59 years of organisational membership.

Toy - Kiddicraft: Billie and His Seven Barrels, 1950

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Boxed children's toy, suitable for children 2-2.5 years, donated by Miss Jean Woollard circa 1997.

Puzzle - Children's Puzzle, Wood & Paint, circa 1950s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

One of a pair of wooden puzzles used in the Denmark Street Baby Health Centre in Kew.

Historical information

In August, 1920, The Kew Town Council decided to establish a Baby Health Centre in Kew. The first Centre was opened in a room in the Town Hall in Walpole Street on 5 November 1920. In May 1939, the Railway Commissioners agreed to lease a site at the Kew Railway Station for a Baby Health Centre for a term of 21 years at 3 pounds per annum. A building, designed by Roland Chipperfield, was erected, and the Centre previously conducted at the Town Hall transferred there. This became known as the Denmark Street Baby Health Centre. (Cr. W.D. Vaughan, Kew’s Civic Century, W.D. Vaughan Pty Ltd., Kew, 1960, pp.96 & 97.)

Puzzle - Children's Puzzle, Wood & Paint, circa 1950s

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

One of a pair of wooden puzzles used in the Denmark Street Baby Health Centre in Kew.

Historical information

In August, 1920, The Kew Town Council decided to establish a Baby Health Centre in Kew. The first Centre was opened in a room in the Town Hall in Walpole Street on 5 November 1920. In May 1939, the Railway Commissioners agreed to lease a site at the Kew Railway Station for a Baby Health Centre for a term of 21 years at 3 pounds per annum. A building, designed by Roland Chipperfield, was erected, and the Centre previously conducted at the Town Hall transferred there. This became known as the Denmark Street Baby Health Centre. (Cr. W.D. Vaughan, Kew’s Civic Century, W.D. Vaughan Pty Ltd., Kew, 1960, pp.96 & 97.)

Photograph - Display: Children's Health, Kew Library, 2017

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Display sourced from the Society's and private collections, curated by Les Littlechild, illustrating historical aspects of children's health in Kew.

Photograph - Kew Baptist Church Kindergarten, Alexandra Gardens (Kew), circa 1946

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Kew Baptist Church Kindergarten Xmas break up in the Alexandra Gardens, Cotham Road, Kew, circa 1946.The donor's brother Ted Brock is in the very middle, looking at the camera.

Photographs [Series] - Exhibition: Around the Bend ~ Asylums on the Yarra, Kew Court House, 2017

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photographs of the opening night of the exhibition on asylums by the Yarra, organised as part of the Kew Festival 2017.

Photograph - House: 31 Miller Grove (Kew)

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of 31 Miller Grove, a house once owned and lived in by two nationally significant Australian women: firstly Marie Dalley (first female Mayor of Kew), and secondly the sculptor Leopoldine Mimovich.

Photograph - Streetscape: Kew, 2017

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of the junction of Cotham Road and High Street, Kew.

Photographs [Series] - Exhibition: Performing Arts 1940-1970, Kew Court House, October 2017

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photos of the third Kew Historical Society exhibition at the Kew Court House for 2017, focusing on aspects of performing arts in Kew from the 1940s to the 1970s

Photograph - Community Heritage Grant Awards Ceremony, Canberra, 29 Oct 2017

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Kew Historical Society Archivist receiving a Community Heritage Grant award on behalf of the Society at a ceremony in Canberra to conduct a Significance Assessment.

Photographs [Series] - Exhibition: Victorian Fashion, Villa Alba, 2016

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Series of born digital images of a lecture and an exhiition at the Villa Alba Museum in 2016 of Victorian era costumes, largely drawn from the Coombs Collection of the Society. The mounting of the costumes was made possible by a City of Boroondara Strengthening Communities grant for 2015-16. Most of the costumes displayed here are separately catalogued on Victorian Collections.

Photographs [Series] - Exhibition: Victorian Fashion, Kew Court House, 2016

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Series of born digital images of an exhiition at the Kew Court House in 2016 of Victorian era costumes, largely drawn from the Coombs Collection of the Society. The mounting of the costumes was made possible by a City of Boroondara Strengthening Communities grant for 2015-16. Each of the costumes displayed here is separately catalogued on Victorian Collections.

Photograph - Monthly Meeting: The Weirs of Princess Street, 11 April 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Display of seven costumes from the Weir collection dating from the 1910s, 1920s and 1930s used as a display at the 11 April 2018 monthly meeting at which the speakers were Jillian Rigby, Robert Baker and Suzanne McWha. The topic was the Weirs of Princess Street (Kew). The dresses form part of the Kew Historical Society Australian fashion collection and are catalogued individually.

Photographs {Series] - House: 1 Tara Avenue, Kew, 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Two storey house at 1 Tara Avenue, sold in 2018 and to be demolished in 2019.

Photographs [Series] - Chandler Highway Bridge Construction, August 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The second of a series of photographs taken in July/August 2018 recording work on the old and new Chandler Highway Bridges.

Photographs [Series] - Chandler Highway Bridge Construction, July 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

The first of a series of photographs taken in July/August 2018 recording work on the old and new Chandler Highway Bridges.

Photographs [Series] - Exhibition: Water H20, Kew Court House, 6 July 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A series of photographs of objects and pictures of the second exhibition at the Kew Court House for 2018, mounted by the Kew Historical Society.

Photographs [Series] - Exhibition: Traders of Kew, Kew Court House, July 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

A series of photographs taken of current traders and members of the Society at the opening of the first exhibition for 2018 of the Kew Historical Society in its rooms at the Kew Court House. The exhibition was one of the Society's events at the annual Kew Festival. Honoured guests included Robert Stewart, Mr & Mrs Toscano, and Angela Pakula.

Photograph - Monthly Meeting: James Nicolas ~ 'Fairyland', August 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photograph of the presenter, James Nicolas, the author of a publication on 'Fairyland' speaking to members at the August 2018 meeting.

Photographs [Series] - Monthly Meeting: Show & Tell, July 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Photographs of exhibits and exhibitors at the July 2018 monthly meeting of the Kew Historical Society, which took the form of a 'Show & Tell' by members.

Photographs [Series] - 60th Anniversary Meeting, Kew Historical Society, September 2018

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

AGM of the Kew Historical Society coinciding with the 60th anniversary of the Society. The guest speaker was the Mayor of Kew, Cr. Jim Parke, while the patron of the Society, Sir Gus Nossal made presentations and cut the birthday cake. Presentations in recognition of service were made to Assoc. Prof. Don Garden, Brad Miles, and David Benwell.

Historical information

The Kew Historical Society was founded at a meeting called by the Kew Association in September 1958 at the home of Cr. WHS Dickinson, who was to become the first president of the Society.

Photograph - Wedding Party

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Group portrait at an unidentified wedding. The photographers name is included on the mount: A.H. Williams, South Melbourne. The State Library of Victoria records that he was 'active' between 1899-1935.

Inscriptions & Markings

"A.H. Williams, South Melbourne"

Photograph - The Dance

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Group portrait of attendees at a dance in a hall. The costumes worn by the women would indicate that the photograph was taken between 1919 and 1925.

Photograph - Woman

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Circular portrait in a square mount of an unidentified woman, circa 1900-1910

Photograph - Three Boys

Kew Historical Society Inc, Kew

Faded sepia studio photograph of three unidentified boys, the oldest boy dressed in a quasi-military uniform. The photographer is named as G.L. Massingham ( (George Leake), active 1866-1921), of View Street, Bendigo (and Geelong), active in View Street from 1901 (to ca.1921.)