Ballarat Fire Brigade

corner Barkly & East streets Ballarat Victoria

Ballarat Fire Brigade is a fully volunteer fire brigade and was formed in 1856 and has operated from it current site on the corner of Barkly & East streets Ballarat since 1858. The station has a collection of firefighting memorabillia along with an extensive collection of trophys and photo's relating to the brigade dating back to the 1850's.

Opening Hours

The station is open during Ballarat Heritage Weekend every year or by appointment. Appointments can be made by email - ballarat.fs@cfa.vic.gov.au or by phoning 5332 2530 on monday nights between 7.00pm & 9.30pm.

Entry Fee

There is no charge for tours

Telephone

03 5332 2530






Cancel

If your message is about this website in general, please
contact the Victorian Collections administrators

32 items

Show Items with Images

Order by Random Recent Name

Show Grid List

poster

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photograph of brigades 1938 Dodge pumper taken from rear of appliance. Photograph shows appliance fully stowed and has an inventory of stowed equipment listed down both sides of poster with photo located in centre. aroows from item list to position on photograph appear to be hand drawn (possibly at later date) in red pen.

Historical information

Poster was probably made as a training aide for newer members or display purposes for public talks. Original vehicle still owned by brigade

Inscriptions & Markings

1938 Dodge fire appliance & auxiliary appliances, (numerous further inscriptions as per photograph of poster)

Tap to view

Demonstration Shield - Three Man Marshall Event Shield

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

This shield is made from a silver. The shield is around plam size and has a classic shape. On the back of the shield there are three small hoops, two at the top (left and right), and one in the center at the bottom.

Inscriptions & Markings

Inscription on shield in the center. " C.F.B.B. / Geelong Demonstration / 1920 / Presented by / Chief Officer Marshall / 3 Men Marshall event/ -WON BY - / W.J. Gilbert. / Ballarat F.B / HAMMERTON / GEELONG"

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photograph of 1920's REO pumper (registration 47813) out front of Ballarat Fire Station. Pumper has 1 fireman in driver seat and 1 fireman standing on rear of vehicle

Historical information

REO pumper was housed at Ballarat Fire Station for a number of years in the 1920's

Inscriptions & Markings

nil

Tap to view

Trophy

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Silver platedd shield mounted on wooden board. Shield depicts 2 firemen, 1 standing on a ladder the other on a balcony saving a baby from a building fire. On the upper level of the burning building is a woman waiting to be saved. The centre part of the shield is oval in shape 170 mm W x 230 mm H. there is a ribbon (silver) at the top of the shield & a small oval disc at the base. Shield was won by Ballarat Fire Bigade at the 1904 Geelong Fire Brigade Jubilee competition. Shield is seen on the table in item #017

Historical information

Was one of a number of trophys won by the brigade at the jubilee competition which would have been held to celebrate Geelong Brigades 50th anniversary in 1904

Inscriptions & Markings

Geelong Fire Brigade Jubilee Competition / 1904 / Won by / Ballarat / Brigade

Tap to view

Photograph - 'Sailor'

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photograph of the brigades horse 'Sailor' who is pictured harnessed to the hose carriage outside the front of the original station (pre 1916). 3 firefighters are pictured on the caariage, 2 seated in the front and 1 standing on the rear. Photograph is mounted on a beige coloured card

Historical information

Sailor was one of the 2 most noted horses used by the brigade

Inscriptions & Markings

nil

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photograph of 1938 dodge pumper taken in Barkly street beside the Ballarat Fire Station. Dodge has a brigade member in the drivers seat and an unknown woman sitting in the rear of the appliance

Historical information

Dodge was house at Ballarat between 1939 and 1960

Inscriptions & Markings

nil

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Brigade photograph taken in 1868 and presented to Daylesford fire brigade in October 1868. Photraph is made up of individual photographs and includes a picture of the Ballarat Fire Station.

Historical information

Photograph of brigade c.1868 presented to Daylesford fire brigade, possibly at the brigades annual picnic

Inscriptions & Markings

The Ballarat Fire Brigade, Established AD. 1856 / We strive to save / Ballarat, October 1868 / Presented to the Daylesford Fire Brigade / ROBERTS BROS

Tap to view

Shield

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Wooden shield from the Ballarat Fire Brigade Social Committee. Shield is known as the Schulze Memorial Shield and was for the winner of the annual Billiards tournament. The shield is wooden with 3 metal plaques attached with the names of the winners engraved. Shield was presented in 1946, 1947 & 1948. Shield is traditional shape with 3 points across the top, 1 either side towards the top and 1 in the middle at the bottom.

Inscriptions & Markings

B.F.B.S.C. / SHULZE MEMORIAL SHIELD / ANNUAL BILLIARDS TOURNAMENT WINNERS. (on metal plaques) 1946 / Won by / A.Beshara, 1947 / Won by / K.Evans, 1948 / Won by / G.Morris

Tap to view

Certificate

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Coloured certificate from 1900 Country Fire Brigades Board Castlemaine Demonstration for 1st prize in the discipline event for brigades of 30 men. Certificate has various pictures of fire activities, a horse drawn steam pumper, a mannual pump at a multi story building fire, a multi story building fire with a fireman up a ladder, a number of brigades marching and a bell ringing. There are various pieces of firefighting equipment around the border of the picture. Certificate is signed by the President, Chief officer and Secretary of the CFBB

Inscriptions & Markings

THE COUNTRY FIRE BRIGADES BOARD, VICTORIA / CASTLEMAINE / DEMONSTRATION / 1900 / Discipline Certificate / FOR BRIGADES OF 30 MEN / FIRST PRIZE / Awarded to / Ballarat Fire Brigade / President / Chief Officer / Secretary

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

small B&W photograph showing north side of current station. Visable in the picture is part of neighbouring property on northern side of station, station keepers hut and also part of old eastern council offices

Historical information

picture gives a good example of streetscape at the time taken

Inscriptions & Markings

Nil

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photographof the winning team from Ballarat brigade for the "hose practice for 8 men" event which was held as part of the fire brigades demonstration, Geelong Jubilee, 1904. Pictured are the eight man team and the brigade Captain with various hoses, hydrants, branches and the trophys for the event (2 shield & 8 individual trophys). Photo is mounted on olive coloured card.

Inscriptions & Markings

BALLARAT FIRE BRIGADE / PRESENTED TO THE BALLARAT FIRE BRIGADES CLUB / R.CORNISH, G.FORD, J.CROUGEY, J.C.HEIL / A.DUNSTAN, O.C.REIGELHUTH, CAPTAIN W.TRAHAR, W.ROBERTS, G.VAWDREY / By the Winners of Hose Practice for Eight Men / FIRE BRIGADES DEMONSTRATION, GEELONG JUBILEE, 1904

Tap to view

Trophy

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Silver shield mounted on a wooden backing board. Trophy was won by Ballarat Fire Brigade at the Geelong Fire Brigade Jubilee in 1904. Trophy was donated by Merrywetather & sons Lim. Trophy has a Lion at the top centre, angels on both the left and right sides. In the centre is a horse drawn fire appliance (assumed a Merryweather steam pumper) drawn by 2 horses through what appears to be a town square. There are 3 fireman standing on the front of the appliance and 1 on the rear. There are various other branches, leaves etc. that make up the remainder of the decorations on the sheild. Item is very similar to item 020.

Historical information

Trophy was won at the Geelong Fire Brigade Jubilee in 1904. This would have been a demonstartion to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Geelong brigade which formed in 1854

Inscriptions & Markings

1904 / GEELONG FIRE BRIGADE JUBILEE / COMPETITION / PRESENTED / BY / Merryweather & Sons Lim

Tap to view

Trophy

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Large silver shield with highly detailed casting & hand engraving of a scene from the garden of eden. Shield is approximatley 630mm W x 850mm H surrounded by a 70mm wide mauve velvet material band. A gold curved rectangular plate withthe donor and winner name is set into the band. Shield was presented to the brigade in Sydney in May 1888 for first prize in the hose & ladder event as part of the centenial demonstration. Trophy was donated by the Australian Mutual Fire Insurance Society and presented by Walter Church, Manager.

Inscriptions & Markings

Centennial Demonstration / Sydney May 1888 / Hose & Ladder / First Prize Won By / W.Trahar, P.Cockburn / W.Smith, R.Young / W.Perkins, R.Johnstone / A.Reynolds, J.Coward / Captn W.Trotman, Apparatus Off W.Dark. (on gold plaque) Presented by the / Australian Mutual Fire / Insurance Society / Walter Church, Manager / Won by

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Black and white memorial photograph of Pte. A B Leach, a member of the brigade who died as a prisoner of war 26th July 1945. Photgraph is of Pte Leach in uniform and is framed in a dark brown timber frame with painted gold trim on the inner edge of the frame

Inscriptions & Markings

Ballarat Fire Brigade / Social Club / In Memory of our Late Member / Pte. A.B. Leach / 2/2 Pioneer Battalion / Died P.O.W. 26th July 1945 / 105 "Killo" camp, Burma / Thorton Richards & Co / Ballarat

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photograph of Shand Mason steam pumper taken beside Ballarat Fire Station in Barkly street. Pumper is being drawn by 2 dark coloured horses. Pumper has 3 firemen and a driver on board. 3 children are standing against the fence in the rear of the picture. Photo is mounted on an brown coloured card with dcorative scrolls.

Historical information

Shand Mason steam pumper was purchased by the brigade in 1881 and was the first of its kind in Victoria. Picture shows side view of original station and corrugated iron fence

Tap to view

Personal Guideline

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

6 metre Long by 6mm diameter personal guideline made from woven nylon rope with stainless steel single action gated hooks attached on both ends

Historical information

6 metre Long by 6mm diameter personal guideline used for attaching a firefighter to another firefighter or a main guideline while conducting search & rescue of burning buildings. Makes up part of the firemans belt that was owned by Senior Firefighter (S/F) W.G. Jamieson who was stationed at Ballarat Fire Station as part of the permanent staff.

Tap to view

Certificate

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

White timber framed pledge from the Ballarat Fire Brigade to His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburugh during his royal visit in December 1867. Pledge is on white paper with a coat of arms near the centre at the top of the page. Lettering is mainly in black ink with some red coloured letters being used. Certificate has a light brown coloured border around it with a hand drawn scrolled decorative edge made in gold colour.

Historical information

Certificate is of the pledge that the brigade made to His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburugh at a dinner that the Duke attended at the Ballarat Fire Station on 10th December 1867 during a royal visit to the district.

Inscriptions & Markings

To His Royal Higness / The Duke of Edinburugh / May It Please Your Royal Highness / We Othe fficers and Members of the Ballaarat Fire Brigade, an institution based upon pure philanthropic / principles, our motto being "We Strive to Save" bear to approach your Royal / Highness with feelings of devotion and attachment, and deep felt gratitude to the Almighty, for this / opportunity of envicingour loyalty to Her Most Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria, your Royal / Mother: and, of tendering a hearty Firemans welcome to Your Royal Highness, in the land of our / adoption, and the good town of Ballaarat East, our residence. / We are deeply impressed with the great honor and importance of your Royal Higness's visit to the / Australian Colonies, and beg to express our fervent wishes for your Royal Highness's safe return / to our mother country. / We have the privilege and honor, to subscribe ourselves your Royal Higness's most obedient and humble / servants. / On behalf of the Brigade / Charles Dunn, Captain Carl Franz, Lieutenant / R. Geilhofer, Hon. Secretary / Ballaarat, December, 1867

Tap to view

Firemans Belt

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Dark brown leather firemans belt with brass buckle. Belt makes up part of a firemans gear belt which carried a small axe (tomahawk), hydrant spanner and personal guideline. Belt has a brass eyelet through it to allow attachment of the guideline.

Historical information

Belt was owned by Senior Firefighter (S/F) W.G. Jamieson who was stationed at Ballarat Fire Station as part of the permanent staff.

Inscriptions & Markings

Nil

Tap to view

Hydrant spanner keeper

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Brown leatherbelt keeper for holding hydrant spanner on firemans belt

Historical information

Makes up part of firemans belt that was owned by Senior Firefighter (S/F) W.G. Jamieson who was stationed at Ballarat Fire Station as part of the permanent staff.

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photograph of the 1932 Ballarat Fire Brigade Ladies Bowling Team with the Marks Shield. Photograph is 203 mm W x 150 mm H mounted on a light brown coloured card.

Historical information

Marks Shield was the aggregate trophy for carpet bowls and was won by Ballarat Brigade team in 1932. Names are written on the back of photograph, missing name of person may be C.Webb who was team captain

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photgraph mounted on an off white card backing. Photograph is of the Ballarat Fire Station and new motor (fire truck)

Historical information

Photograph shows 3 of the permanent station keepers from Ballarat Fire brigade with the new motor. Photo was taken in the 1920's

Inscriptions & Markings

nil

Tap to view

medal

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Engraved gold medal pendant attached to gold neck chain. Pendant is sheild shaped with 2 points either side of chain attachment at top and one point at centre of base. Won in 1878

Historical information

this gold chain and medal pendant was presented to W M sansom after he and three other members won the representative race at the demonstration held in Melbourne in 1878. it was stated in the Sansom estate that it be returned to the Ballarat Fire Brigade of which he was a member.

Inscriptions & Markings

(engraved on front of medal) "PRESENTED / To / G. Sansom"

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photograph of a brigade member holding the brigades horse 'Sailor'. Photograpf was taken in East street looking south towards Barkly street. Photograph is mounted on a dark brown card backing.

Historical information

'Sailor' was one of the more well known horses used by the brigade

Inscriptions & Markings

from Tom/to Sis/with Best/wishes/4/10-1909 (on back bottom corner)

Tap to view

Hydrant Spanner

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Brass fire hydrant spanner

Historical information

Belt was owned by Senior Firefighter (S/F) W.G. Jamieson who was stationed at Ballarat Fire Station as part of the permanent staff.

Tap to view

Firemans axe

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

firemans small personal axe (tomahawk), axe has black rubberised/plastic handle and metal head

Historical information

Axe was part of firemans belt was owned by Senior Firefighter (S/F) W.G. Jamieson who was stationed at Ballarat Fire Station as part of the permanent staff.

Inscriptions & Markings

No. 125 (right side of handle), TESTED 20,000 VOLTS (left side of handle), W.GILPIN (stamped into left side of head)

Tap to view

Trophy

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Silver shield mounted on a wooden backing board. Trophy was won by Ballarat Fire Brigade at the Geelong Fire Brigade Jubilee in 1904. Trophy was donated by Llyods of London and presented by E. Steane Price esq. Trophy has a Lion at the top centre, angels on both the left and right sides. In the centre there is a depection of 2 large multi storey buildings. The building in the front of the picture has a carraige ladder raised up against it with 2 firemen climbing the ladder. There are 2 additional firemen either side of the ladder and an additional fireman in front of standing in front of with another standing on top of what appears to be either a mannual pump or possibly the ladders appliance. There are various other branches, leaves etc. that make up the remainder of the decorations on the sheild. Item is very similar to item 018

Historical information

Trophy was won at the Geelong Fire Brigade Jubilee in 1904. This would have been a demonstartion to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Geelong brigade which formed in 1854

Inscriptions & Markings

GEELONG FIRE BRIGADES JUBILEE / 1904 / PRESENTED / BY / E.STEANE PRICE Esq. LLYODS LONDON

Tap to view

Axe case

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Brown leather case designed to carry firemans axe on his belt. Case is stitched around the edges and has 4 brass rivets holding it together. A central brass dome headed botton acts as the clasp and goes through a hole located in the cover. On the rear side is 2 belt loops which are also riveted to the case. The number 11 is writen inside the cover in red ink.

Historical information

Makes up part of the firemans belt that was owned by Senior Firefighter (S/F) W.G. Jamieson who was stationed at Ballarat Fire Station as part of the permanent staff.

Inscriptions & Markings

11 (inside cover flap)

Tap to view

Photograph - 'Tommy'

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

B&W photograph of Ballarat Fire Brigades horse 'Tommy' harnessed to a hose carriage. Photgraph was taken at the front of the current station. Photograph is mounted on a beige coloured card

Historical information

Photograph shows Tommy standing outside a very new brick engine house. This would date the photograph as being 1916 or later. As the brigade received it first motorised appliance in 1917 and second appliance in 1918 the brigade would not have kept horses after this date.

Significance

Shows the original facade of the current station with the pillar and wooden doors intact (now removed)

Inscriptions & Markings

Nil

Tap to view

Certificate

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Certificate of service from the Country Fire Brigades Board presented to William Ernest Roff for 25 years service to the Ballarat Fire Brigade. It is signed by the president, chief officer and secretary of the CFBB on the 29th April 1937. Coloured certificate depicts various (4) fireman in various poses with the CFBB logo in the top centre of the certificate. Certificate is framed in a brown timber frame trimmed with a gold edge.

Historical information

Certificate presented to members upon retirement from the CFBB

Inscriptions & Markings

COUNTRY / FIRE BRIGADES BOARD / This is to Certify that / William Ernest Roff / was a member of / The Ballarat Fire Brigade / for Twenty Five Years / During which term he did / valuable work for the Board, the Brigade / and the Fire Service generally / ? ? Taylor President / a McPherson Chief Officer / ? ? ?????? Secretary / Date of issue / 29th April, 1937

Tap to view

Photograph

Ballarat Fire Brigade, Ballarat

Brigade photograph taken in 1868 and presented to (unknown) volunteer fire brigade in October 1868. Photraph is made up of individual photographs and includes a picture of the Ballarat Fire Station. Could possibly be Clunes Volunteer Fire Brigade)

Historical information

Photograph of brigade c.1868 presented to another fire brigade, possibly at the brigades annual picnic

Inscriptions & Markings

The Ballarat Fire Brigade, Established AD. 1856 / We strive to save / Ballarat, October 1868 / Presented to the ..... Volunteer Fire Brigade / ROBERTS BROS

Tap to view