Showing 22003 items
matching memorabilia
-
Bendigo Military Museum
Uniform - TROUSERS, POLYESTER, Aust Army, 1962 - 1972
See Patterson Cat 5825.This is one pair of polyester trousers. Cuffless - Men's. Colour is a green khaki. It has pockets, 2 on sides, 1 on rear. It has belt loops around top. The fly is held shut with brown buttons and a zip.Inside on the labels and can be barely made out. "Patt??". Another label has "K B134" written in texta on it.vietnam war, polyester trousers, uniform -
Lilydale RSL Sub Branch
Memorabilia, Framed display of badges and poppies
Framed display of Legacy badges from 1920's onwards and poppies from the 1930's. -
Lilydale RSL Sub Branch
Postcard - Two Framed Postcards, 1915
Postcard (1) Beach Scene/ Postcard (2) Three local men on top of PyramidPostcard (1) The back of this postcard bears the inscription - " This is a scene on the beach. Just fancy a shell bursting among this crowd. They often do. The Turks have got a gun they train on this place alone. I have seen seventeen knocked one day with one shell. They can't fire too often as they are short of ammunition, they would get thousands here I suppose. The gun that does fire here has killed more than any other gun in the war. The Boys call him (possibly "bracky") Bill. Postcard (2) The back of this postcard bears the inscription "This is one of some niggers taken on the top of the pyramids" -
Clunes Museum
Badge, 1956
METAL PIN CELEBRATING THE 1956 OLYMPIC GAMES HELD IN MELBOURNE.MEDAL OF LIGHT MATERIAL PROBABLY OF TIN - MALE FIGURE WITH RED TOP WHITE SHORTS RUNNING. BLUE BACKGROUND, YELLOW SURROUND OLYMPIC RINGS AT BASE. SOCCER BALL.OLYMPIC GAMES 1956local history, numismatic, commemorative, medals, badges -
Melbourne Tram Museum
Postcard, VSM, "Collins Street Melbourne (looking west), c1908
Image shows a view of Collins St looking west from near Russell st looking towards Swanston St. Has two cable trams in the view. Has the offices of The Argus and the Australasian newspapers in the view on the left side of the card. On the outside of the building are boards with extracts of the newspaper and people viewing them. The card has the name of 'VSM Melbourne" and that it was printed in Prussia.Yields information about Collins St c1908 and the nature of dress of the many people in the photo and The Argus building.Colour postcard - Divided back, titled "Collins Street Melbourne (looking west)", date stamped in two places "Melbourne 10-3-08"In pencil 2E collins st, postcards, cable trams, the argus -
National Vietnam Veterans Museum (NVVM)
Memorabilia, Memorabilia 2003: Australian War Memorial
Also contains photos of Australian at warmemorabilias, australia - armed forces - history -
Stawell Historical Society Inc
Memorabilia - Realia, 1935
College of Pharmacy Certificate of Honour. September 1935stawell -
Bendigo Military Museum
Award - MEDAL SET, Post WWI
Francis Harold Freeman No 1914 enlisted 29.2.16 in the 3rd reinforcements to the 46th Batt AIF aged 21 years 2 months. Embarked for England 20.5.16, hospital 13.10.16 with Influenza, allotted No 1914A, hospital 9.2.17 with Umps then Diptheria followed by Debility, marries Amy Eliza Spray 13.10.17, returns to France, hospital 29.10.19 with Influenza, discharged on 29.10.19 from the AIF. A brother No 1915 Thomas Henry 46th Batt KIA 11.6.17.Medals, court mounted, set of (2) Re F.H. Freeman. 1. War Medal 1914-19. 2. Victory Medal."1914A, F. H. Freeman 46th Bn AIF"metalcraft, numismatics - medals- military -
Marysville & District Historical Society
Letter (item) - Hand written letter, Mrs Grace Dickinson, 11-12-1934
A digital copy of a hand written letter from Mrs Dickinson to Mr Couzens confirming the availability of seats in the service car, and that it will collect he and his wife from Canterbury for their journey to Marysville House. Marysville House was built in the late 1920s by Arthur Dickinson.A digital copy of a hand written letter from Mrs Dickinson to Mr Couzens confirming the availability of seats in the service car, and that it will collect he and his wife from Canterbury for their journey to Marysville House. Marysville House was built in the late 1920s by Arthur Dickinson.marysville, victoria, australia, marysville house, arthur james dickinson, grace dickinson, arnold spooner, eileen marie spooner, eileen marie dickinson, grace sweetland, eric dowdle, elsie may denton, elsie may dickinson, peter dickinson, linda dickinson, 2009 black saturday bushfires, letter, robert couzens -
Lakes Entrance Regional Historical Society (operating as Lakes Entrance History Centre & Museum)
Postcard, Bancroft Bay Metung Victoria, 1900 c
Two small boats moored in bay person standing on shoreSepia toned postcard taken from waterfront looking across Bancroft Bay towards Boole Poole Metung Victoria boats and boating, jetties, waterways -
Ballarat Tramway Museum
Postcard, Ballarat Tramway Museum (BTM), Ballarat Horse Tram 1, Feb, 1995
BTM produced full colour postcard featuring Horse Tram No. 1 on the commissioning day - 7/11/1992 - in Wendouree Parade, with the word "Ballarat" in the top left hand corner. Photograph by Carolyn Dean. On rear of card is address box, stamp position, details of the horse tramway and when the museum is operating and the words "Ballarat Trams are Ballarat History". trams, tramways, wendouree parade, postcards, btm, horse trams, tram 456 -
Falls Creek Historical Society
Award - Pewter Mug Trophies - Ross and Malcolm Milne - Molony Cup 1966 - Third
This Pewter Mug Collection is a set of 32 trophies won by Australian Alpine skiers Ross and Malcolm Milne between 1959 and 1964. Ross and Malcolm grew up on their family's tobacco property in Myrtleford, and began skiing at Falls Creek at an early age. They were both taught by Austrian Sigi Haberzettl, who was chief coach at Falls Creek for 17 years. Ross went on to win the North-Eastern District Ski Association (NEDSA) Junior Championships for three years in a row. In 1961 Ross was a member of the Australian team which competed against New Zealand in the Inter-Dominion Championships. In 1963, he won the Downhill and Alpine Combined title at the Australian Championships, while placing second in the Grand Slalom event. Ross Milne was selected in the Australian team that participated in the 1964 Olympic Winter Games at Innsbruck, Austria. A few days before the opening of the Games, on 25 January 1964, he tragically lost his life when he crashed into a tree during a training run for the Men's Downhill. He was only 19 years of age. Malcolm became a member of the Australian Junior Ski Team to Japan at the age of 14. He won all of the NEDSA children’s races and won the State Title in 1966. Malcolm continued to achieve great success, winning the Australian Championships for the next five years. At the end of 1969 he won Gold in the Val d'Isere FIS Alpine Ski World Cup Downhill, Australia's first Alpine Ski World Cup medal. He was on the Australian National Ski Team for eight years, representing his country at the 1968 and 1972 Olympic Games and the 1966 and 1970 World Championships before turning professional in 1972. Malcolm Milne was inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame in 1985. In 2000 he received the Australian Sports Medal for his contribution to skiing. In 2004, Ski & Snowboard Australia granted Milne Life Membership for the contribution he made to the sport by becoming the first World Cup medal winner in Australian winter sports history, and the subsequent impact his performances have had on future athletes. Malcolm Milne was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for services to skiing in 2016. James Malony originally established his business in 1854 in King Street Melbourne. The family owned business of J. Molony initially specialised in shoemaking. Several members of the family were recognised ice hockey and figure skaters who have represented Australia in international winter events including the 1952 Olympic Games in Oslo, Norway and the 1976 Innsbruck Winter Olympics. Molony’s in Elizabeth Street expanded their business with a focus on ski equipment, opening new premises in Falls Creek in 1960. They sponsored several events included the Malony Cup, a Grand Slalom event held at Falls Creek.This item is significant because it is part of a collection which documents the career of two outstanding Australian sportsmen.A pewter mug awarded for Moloney Cup 1966Engraved on side of mug: Molony Cup 1966 MENS THIRDross milne, malcolm milne, milne brothers, australian alpine skiers, j. malony -
Bendigo Military Museum
Certificate - DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE, Australian Imperial Expeditionary Force, 29.8.1918
Henry Holmberg Regt No 26673, AIF. Refer Cat No 54P for his service details.Discharge certificate card rectangular shape, double sided, Register No 413, V/B No 21842, contains name, Regt No, rank, unit, enlistment details, days in service, awards, age, physical appearance, all written details in black ink.“Henry Holmberg No 26673”certificates, discharge, aif -
University of Melbourne, Burnley Campus Archives
Album - Colour slides, Rose Garden, 1985
9-17 slides of the Rose Garden with grass paths. Dec 85. 1-5 slides of pots in a Nursery. Rose or tree cuttings. Sep 85. 6-9, 18 Unidentified.rose garden, grass paths, pots, nursery, cuttings -
Bendigo Military Museum
Award - MEDAL SET, post 1945
Medals awarded to Cyril John JOHNSON VX36298 died as a POW. Refer Cat No 3144 for his service history.Set of (5) WWII medals court mounted re C J JOHNSON. 1. 1939 - 1945 Star 2. Pacific Star 3. Defence Medal 4. War Medal1939 - 1945 5. Aust Service Medal 1939 - 1945Engraved VX36298 C J JOHNSON.medals, military, history -
Dandenong/Cranbourne RSL Sub Branch
Plaque - HMS Ajax plaque
-
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum and Village
Souvenir - Rope Sample, before September 1891
The rope was part of the distress rocket used during the time that the sailing ship Fiji was in distress, before it became a wreck. The three-masted iron barque Fiji had been built in Belfast, Ireland, in 1875 by Harland and Wolfe for a Liverpool based shipping company. The ship departed Hamburg on 22nd May 1891 bound for Melbourne, under the command of Captain William Vickers with a crew of 25. The ship’s manifest shows that she was loaded with a cargo of 260 cases of dynamite, pig iron, steel goods, spirits (whisky, schnapps, gin, brandy), sailcloth, tobacco, coiled fencing wire, concrete, 400 German pianos (Sweet Hapsburg), concertinas and other musical instruments, artists supplies including brushes, porcelain, furniture, china, and general cargo including candles. There were also toys in anticipation for Christmas, including wooden rocking horses, miniature ships, dolls with china limbs and rubber balls. On September 5th, one hundred days out from Hamburg in squally and boisterous south west winds the Cape Otway light was sighted on a bearing differing from Captain Vickers’ calculation of his position. At about 2:30am, Sunday 6th September 1891 land was reported 4-5 miles off the port bow. The captain tried to put the ship on the other tack, but she would not respond. He then tried to turn her the other way but just as the manoeuvre was being completed the Fiji struck rock only 300 yards (274 metres) from shore. The place is known as Wreck Bay, Moonlight Head. Blue lights were burned and distress rockets fired whilst an effort was made to lower boats but all capsized or swamped and smashed to pieces. Two of the younger crewmen volunteered to swim for the shore, taking a line. One, a Russian named Daniel Cartland, drowned after he was swept away when the line broke. The other, 17 year old able seaman Julius Gebauhr, a German, reached shore safely on his second attempt but without the line, which he had cut lose with his sheath-knife when it become tangled in kelp. He rested on the beach a while then climbed the steep cliffs in search of help. At about 10am on the Sunday morning a party of land selectors - including F. J. Stansmore, Leslie Dickson (or Dixon) and Mott - found Gebauhr. They were near Ryan's Den, on their travels on horseback from Princetown towards Moonlight Head, and about 5km from the wreck. Gebauhr was lying in the scrub in a poor state, bleeding and dressed only in singlet, socks and a belt with his sheath-knife, ready for all emergencies. At first they were concerned about his wild and shaggy looking state and what seemed to be gibberish speech, taking him to be an escaped lunatic. They were reassured after he threw his knife away and realised that he was speaking half-English, half-German. They gave him food and brandy and some clothing and were then able to gain information about the wreck. Some of the men took him to River nook, a nearby guest house owned by John Evans, where he was cared for. Stansmore and Dickson rode off to try and summon help. Others went down to the site of the wreck. Messages for rescuing the rest of the crew were sent both to Port Campbell for the rocket rescue crew and to Warrnambool for the lifeboat. The S.S. Casino sailed from Portland towards the scene. After travelling the 25 miles to the scene, half of the Port Campbell rocket crew and equipment arrived and set up the rocket tripod on the beach below the cliffs. By this time the crew of the Fiji had been clinging to the jib-boom for almost 15 hours, calling frantically for help. Mr Tregear from the Rocket Crew fired the line. The light line broke and the rocket was carried away. A second line was successfully fired across the ship and made fast. The anxious sailors then attempted to come ashore along the line but, with as many as five at a time, the line sagged considerably and some were washed off. Others, nearly exhausted, had to then make their way through masses of seaweed and were often smothered by waves. Only 14 of the 24 who had remained on the ship made it to shore. Many onlookers on the beach took it in turns to go into the surf and drag half-drowned seamen to safety. These rescuers included Bill (William James) Robe, Edwin Vinge, Hugh Cameron, Fenelon Mott, Arthur Wilkinson and Peter Carmody. (Peter Carmody was also involved in the rescue of men from the Newfield.) Arthur Wilkinson, a 29 year old land selector, swam out to the aid of one of the ship’s crewmen, a carpenter named John Plunken. Plunken was attempting to swim from the Fiji to the shore. Two or three times both men almost reached the shore but were washed back to the wreck. A line was thrown to them and they were both hauled aboard. It was thought that Wilkinson struck his head on the anchor before s they were brought up. He remained unconscious. The carpenter survived this ordeal but Wilkinson later died and his body was washed up the next day. It was 26 year old Bill Robe who hauled out the last man, the captain, who had become tangled in the kelp. The wreck of the Fiji was smashed apart within 20 minutes of the last man being brought ashore, and it settled in about 6m of water. Of the 26 men on the Fiji, 11 in total lost their lives. The remains of 7 bodies were washed onto the beach and their coffins were made from timbers from the wrecked Fiji. They were buried on the cliff top above the wreck. The survivors were warmed by fires on the beach then taken to River nook and cared for over the next few days. Funds were raised by local communities soon after the wreck in aid of the sufferers of the Fiji disaster. Captain Vickers was severely reprimanded for his mishandling of the ship. His Masters Certificate was suspended for 12 months. At the time there was also a great deal of public criticism at the slow and disorganised rescue attempt to save those on board. The important canvas ‘breech buoy’ or ‘bucket chair’ and the heavy line from the Rocket Rescue was in the half of the rocket outfit that didn’t make it in time for the rescue: they had been delayed at the Gellibrand River ferry. Communications to Warrnambool were down so the call for help didn’t get through on time and the two or three boats that had been notified of the wreck failed to reach it in time. Much looting occurred of the cargo that washed up on the shore, with nearly every visitor leaving the beach with bulky pockets. One looter was caught with a small load of red and white rubber balls, which were duly confiscated and he was ‘detained’ for 14 days. Essence of peppermint mysteriously turned up in many settlers homes. Sailcloth was salvaged and used for horse rugs and tent flies. Soon after the wreck “Fiji tobacco” was being advertised around Victoria. A Customs officer, trying to prevent some of the looting, was assaulted by looters and thrown over a steep cliff. He managed to cling to a bush lower down until rescued. In 1894 some coiled fencing wire was salvaged from the wreck. Hundreds of coils are still strewn over the site of the wreck, encrusted and solidified. The hull is broken but the vessel’s iron ribs can be seen along with some of the cargo of concrete and pig iron. Captain Vickers presented Bill Robe with his silver-cased pocket watch, the only possession that he still had, as a token for having saved his life and the lives of some of the crew. (The pocket watch came with 2 winding keys, one to wind it and one to change the hands.) Years later Bill passed the watch to his brother-in-law Gib (Gilbert) Hulands as payment of a debt and it has been passed down the family to Gilbert Hulands’ grandson, John Hulands. Seaman Julius Gebauhr later gave his knife, in its hand crafted leather sheath, to F. J. Stansmore for caring for him when he came ashore. The knife handle had a personal inscription on it. A marble headstone on the 200m high cliffs overlooking Wreck Beach, west of Moonlight Head, paying tribute to the men who lost their lives when Fiji ran aground. The scene of the wreck is marked by the anchor from the Fiji, erected by Warrnambool skin divers in 1967.This rope is part of the collection of artefacts from the wreck of the Fiji. Flagstaff Hill’s Fiji collection is of historical significance at a State level because of its association with the wreck Fiji, which is on the Victorian Heritage Register VHR S259. The Fiji is archaeologically significant as the wreck of a typical 19th century international sailing ship with cargo. It is educationally and recreationally significant as one of Victoria's most spectacular historic shipwreck dive sites with structural features and remains of the cargo evident. It also represents aspects of Victoria’s shipping history and its potential to interpret sub-theme 1.5 of Victoria’s Framework of Historical Themes (living with natural processes).Rope, plaited, brown in colour, cut straight at one end, and the other end is separated into 3 pieces, from distress rockets used during the wreck of the sailing ship Fiji. Rope was in envelope printed with an address, and a description, and there was a display card with further details on it. Printed on the envelope: "Shire of Hampden / PO Box 84, Camperdown 3260" Hand written "rope of wreck of Fiji / 7cm / Mr Wm "Boyce" Display card with rope includes words "Piece of Rope from the Fiji distress rockets and was donated to Flagstaff Hill by a private donor in 1989"flagstaff hill, warrnambool, shipwrecked coast, flagstaff hill maritime museum, maritime museum, shipwreck coast, flagstaff hill maritime village, great ocean road, rope, the fiji, william boyce, distress signal, rocket rescue, life saving equipment -
Federation University Historical Collection
Postcard, Harold Reid, c1916
Harold Reid, dressed in Australian Army uniform poses for a photograph during World War One. Verso 'Harold Reid, taken at place where we have our maps printed.'chatham family archive, chatham, holmes, world war, world war 1, world war i, world war one, france, harold reid, reid -
Phillip Island and District Historical Society Inc.
Certificate, Friends of the Penguins Certificate, Unknown
Penguin Parade - "Fairy" Penguins Certificate to indicate "A Lifelong Friend of the Penguins"HistoricalCertificate for "Friends of the Penguins"certificate, friends of the penguins, phillip island -
Melbourne Tram Museum
Letter, Australian Electric Traction Association (AETA), "Proposal to build a tramline down Nepean Highway to Southland", May. 1977
Letter with supplementary document - "Proposal to build a tramline down Nepean Highway to Southland", advocating residents support a study into a possible tram line to Southland, May 1977. The Nepean Highway was being widened at the time. Produced by the AETA. Printed by duplicating process on white foolscap paper.trams, tramways, public transport, mmtb, proposals, moorabbin -
Whitehorse Historical Society Inc.
Letter - Envelope, 1992
The Nunawading Council produced commemorative First Day Covers on Australia Day showing First Day of Issue stamp during the years 1981 -1992First Day cover bearing two 45 cent stamps; picture of sailing ship on each. Postmarked, 'First Day of Issue 15 Jan 1992 Nunawading Vic 3132'. At left of envelope, cartoon depiction of celebrations below name and address of city of Nunawading Municipal Offices. Below picture, 'Australia Day Family Festival, Sunday 26th January, 1992'. Envelope numbered 068Municipal Offices Nunawading Vic 3131philately, date stamps, civic mementoes, souvenirs -
University of Melbourne, Burnley Campus Archives
Card - Invitation, The University of Melbourne et al, Re-Opening of the Luffmann Ponds, 01.05.2010-14.05.2010
luffmann ponds, refurbishment, rick roush, nigel stork, alex chernov, barry jones -
Bendigo Military Museum
Certificate - CERTIFICATE OF DISCHARGE, 1914-1919
Regn No. 6225 Pte Archibald John Nelson Brown, 6th Batt 1st AIF.Certificate of Discharge. 6225 Private Archibald John Nelson Brown. 6th Battn, Medically unfit, 1337 day service, Service abroad 1150 days.passchendaele barracks trust, discharge certificate, a. j. n. brown, 6th battalion -
Stawell Historical Society Inc
Memorabilia - Realia, c1900's
Salt Cellars (Glass 6)stawell -
National Vietnam Veterans Museum (NVVM)
Plaque, Navy In Vietnam
A timber board painted buue with Navy Task Force Vietnam 1963-72. There are four shields relating to HMAS Duchess, HMAS Perth, HMAS Sydney and HMAS Yarra.In the centre there is a framed insigna with the words Naval Task Force Vietnam 1963-72shield, hmas sydney, hmas duchess, hmas sydney, hmas yarra, cerberus collection -
Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc.
Souvenir - Post Card 12 views of Warrnambool, Nucolorvue Productions, 1950's
This type of folded postcards was popular with tourists in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s and often kept by them for many years afterwards. The views of Warrnambool here, taken about the 1950s, were typical of the Warrnambool postcards available at the time and were mass-produced as many examples survive today. They include photographs of Hopkins Falls, the beach and harbour, Liebig Street, Hopkins River, coastal scenery and the Botanical Gardens. These postcards are of some historical interest, though the photographs appear frequently in many publications. They also have a social significance showing what tourists bought 60 or more years ago.This is a packet in envelope form containing 12 coloured postcards of views of Warrnambool about the 1950s. The photographs are printed on buff-coloured paper and fold up to envelope size so that they can be sent by post. The front cover includes three dotted lines for the address and the back cover has a space to include the name of the sender. One page gives some general information on Warrnambool. Front cover: ‘A Souvenir of Beautiful Warrnambool’, ’12 Specially Selected Views in Full Color’ Back cover: ‘From…’ , ‘Published by Nucolorvue Productions, Elwood, Victoria’ tourism, warrnambool -
Glenelg Shire Council Cultural Collection
Souvenir - Ticket - Gymkhana - Henty Park, Portland Victoria, c. 1926
Member's ticket to a gymkhana, to be held at Henty Park, Feb. 1st 1926, Foundation Day, in aid of All Saints' School. Red card, gold print, signed by Mr. Vivian. Hole punched in left side, coloured string threaded through hole. -
The 5th/6th Battalion Royal Victoria Regiment Historical Collection
Uniform
-
Bendigo Historical Society Inc.
Postcard - Alice McGregor Postcard Collection, 1900 - 1920
Alice McGREGOR Born: 1908; unknown parents. Possibly adopted by the Salter family? Electoral Roll 1936: Highland Terrace Kangaroo Flat. Alice Mary Salter and William Robert Salter living together; presumed to be sister and brother. William Robert Salter was killed in a MVA in Bendigo in 1937 aged 26. In Victoria in 1938, Alice Mary Salter married James Thomas McGregor (born Victoria 1917, died Victoria 1983, buried Fawkner Cemetery) Lived: 1968; 22 Wade Street Golden Square Alice McGregor Died: 1999 aged 91 at Anne Caudle Centre, Bendigo Buried: Kangaroo Flat Cemetery See additional research. Postcard Album of Alice McGregor contained 86 post cards.Postcard Album of Alice McGregor containing 86 postcards. See 1400 Colour photo of The Aquarium, Back Beach, Sorrento, Victoria Rock structure at the water's edge. Lone figure in white at the RHS Addressed to Miss A. Stapleton, Bendigo Arcade, Bendigo Sender - Sybil, Hotel Continental, Sorrento Stamp dated Feb 2 1906 postcard, collector, alice mcgregor -
Glenelg Shire Council Cultural Collection
Certificate - Certificate - Inauguration of the Commonwealth of Australia, c. 1901
Certificate, frame behind glass, wooden frame. Coloured, Greek column either side, state crests in shields, three each side at top state floral emblems between and shield with 'Municipal Association of Victoria' 'Inauguration of the Commonwealth of Australia' beneath. Signed by Shire of Portland Councillors. Depiction of young woman as 'The Empire', Lion Empire Jack, Australian coat of arms.