Eltham District Historical Society Inc
Archive Box, Shire of Eltham War Memorial
Material relating to the Shire of Eltham War Memorial located at Garden Hill, Kangaroo Ground. Also known as The Eltham Shire War Memorial Tower, Shire of Eltham Soldiers' Memorial and Kangaroo Ground War Memorial Park. Includes photocopies, newspaper clippings, correspondence and more beginning from early history 1919-2009.
1. Folder of incidental photos (all copies)
2. Notes on name/title compiled by Harry Gilham (one page)
3. Transcriptions of newspaper articles 1919-1920. 3 pages and 2 ½ pages.
4. Notes on local enlistments in Vietnam War compiled by Harry Gilham (one page)
5. Photocopy of service booklet, 1922
6. Binder with plastic pockets. Photocopies. Minutes of the Kangaroo Ground War Memorial Bazaar Committee, 1922-1924
7. Photocopy with notes from G.G. relating to the land transfer/acquisition/contract via White and Gepp.
a. The Advertiser August 1920 – advertisement for coach between Eltham and KG.
b. Anzac Memorial Service, The Eltham & Whittlesea Shires Advertiser & Diamond Creek Advertiser, April 14, 1922 and April 28, 1922
c. Anzac Day services. April 27, 1923
d. Shire of Eltham Memorial Service, The Advertiser April 23, 1926
e. Eltham Shire War Memorial Advertiser August 13,1926
f. Eltham Shire War Memorial The Advertiser October 26, 1926
g. Eltham The Advertiser, December 17, 1926
h. Kangaroo Ground April 26, 1929
9. Photocopy Anzac Commemoration, local newspaper, May 2, 1924
10. Photocopy. Eltham War Memorial Tower article, The Advertiser, November 19, 1926
11. Typed transcription of parts of newspaper articles for three titles, November 1926
12. Transcription. Public Notice, October 16, 1926
13. Photocopy Kangaroo Ground Armistice Day local newspaper, November 25, 1927
14. Photocopy Kangaroo Ground Armistice Day local newspaper, November 16, 1928
15. Photocopy Kangaroo Ground, local newspaper, April 26 1929
16. Photocopy of sketch by Kenneth Jack, 1943
17. Original newspaper article: The Age, May 11, 1963
18. Copy of photo and typed letter describing old photo (ca 1944) of tower, 2005
19. 3 Original Copies. One Hardback. Dedication of memorial official brochure, 1951 original but damaged
20. Transcription. From Kangaroo Ground Bush Fire Brigade: centenary 1892-1992.
21. Newspaper article, Memorial Tower top site for fire spotter, Diamond Valley News, May 15, 1973.
22. Newspaper article, Memorial a fire watch. Diamond Valley News, March 16, 1983 2 Original copies.
23. Newspaper article. An Obvious monument by Russell Yeoman article with photo: Network Nov/Dec 1984.
24. Original newspaper article: “Kangaroo Ground Tower is top spot”. Thought to be from a tourist information free newspaper Summer 
25. Photocopy. Cover, title page, pages 34 and 79.
26. Program. Service program for Remembrance Day commemoration ceremony, 1996.
27. Speech by Harry Gilham for Remembrance Day commemoration ceremony, 1996
28. Photocopy. Two newspaper clippings, 1997
29. Newspaper article: Scaling new heights. Probably Diamond Valley News ca 1997.
30. Word Document. A Tower of Strength by Dean Stewart April 1997
31. Essay. Untitled. refers generally to what war memorials are by Harry Gilham. Undated.
32. Report. Suggested Criteria for the landscape of the Indigenous Sculpture, 1999
33. Report. Planning guidelines for the Kangaroo Ground Fire and Memorial Tower site (indigenous plantings), 1999.
34. Newspaper article with reference to “quoins” Age August 2000
35. Newspaper article: Kangaroo Ground Tower of Remembrance Nillumbik Mail, 9th August 2000
36. Photocopy. Newspaper article: New lease of life for tower (Concept plan) Nillumbik Mail, September 27, 2000
37. Folder. Various including Letters. EDHS Grant project: Kangaroo Ground Park and Tower of Remembrance interpretative signage from Parks Victoria 2000-2001.
38. Newspaper article: $10,000 to start refurbishment, Nillumbik Mail, Feb 21, 2001
39. Circular. KG War Memorial Advisory committee circular August 2001
40. Photocopies. Final designs of signage. September 2001.
41. Letter. Undated, unsigned re application to council to proposed work to police radio masts behind caretaker’s cottage.
42. Proposed running sheet. Re-dedication of KGT. November 8, 2001
43. Newspaper article (2 copies) Century of war service, DVL November 14, 2001 page 6
44. Newsletter. Nillumbik News (NSC) Christmas 2001
45. Letter. Gov. John Landy to Harry Gilham. Thank you for visit. [2001\
46. Folder Gilham collection. Google earth images of Tower, Extract describing history of Tower, including honour roll for WW1 and WW2, 8 pages, Extract describing history of Tower, including honour roll for WW1 and WW2, 3 pages, 2002 and 2004; Kangaroo Ground Tower; Southwell-Keely M.; WAR MEMORIALS IN AUSTRALIA; 8 pages, https://web.archive.org/web/20080722161554/http://www.skp.com.au/memorials2/pages/30054.htm)
47. Agenda. Planning and building committee 12 March 2003 Application for construction of a viewing platform and road entry refurbishment and coach parking bay.
48. Newspaper article: War Memorial to be restored: DVL November 19, 2003
49. Inward loan documents. Two. Andrew Ross Museum inward loan for collection items from “War Memorial Tower” 2003
50. A3 sheets produced by NSC, including aerial photo and plan possibly related to the planning permit application
51. Folder of paperwork relating to the distribution of “Tower of Remembrance and War Memorial Park on Garden Hill at kangaroo Ground, Victoria 1919-2001. 2003.
52. Letters. From Ida Duncan Re Bell poem. Reply re intention to place poem on plaque
53. Newspaper article: Memorial Facelift Sept 29 2004.
54. Folder. Collection of maps and context Yarra Water proposal to build water tanks
55. Photocopy. A3 Aerial view of site from NSC hand dated September 2005.
56. Green Folder. Working documents. List of names. Local WW1 enlistments
57. Photograph. Communications tower with writing on front and back.
58. Printout from website. Names from 1914-1918, 1939-1945 and Korea, Borneo, Malaya, Vietnam commemorations
59. Envelope. Letters, paperwork and emails, mainly from Dennis Ward re roof design for the viewing platform and order for poppy seeds. 2005
60. Newspaper clipping. Pressure on with new tank. Re installation of water tank near site. DVL March 2, 2005
61. Newspaper clipping (2.5 copies). Time to remember among the poppies. DVL Nov 9 2005
62. Newspaper clipping. Lone pine company for souls. DVL 9 November 2005
63. Letter: Cover letter from Dennis Ward architect for CFA Cabin design.
64. Folder. Restoring Community War Memorials Grants Program. Application and associated paperwork 2005/2006 January 2006
65. Newsletter. Yarra Glen & District Historical Society Inc. May 2006. Article: The First World War and the people of Yarra Glen district
66. Folder. Letters and paperwork re the Victorian Government “Community Cabinet” and invitation for community groups to speak directly with a government minister. Actual submission not included in folder.
67. Folder: Material relating to design and construction of viewing platform
68. Newspaper article. Shared views. Valley Weekly, June 21 2006
69. Folder. Paperwork for design and quote for supply of brass plaques. Menin Gate and The Lone Pine October 2006.
70. Newspaper article: Kangaroo Ground, Restoration on schedule, DVL October 2006?
71. Folder: Lists of names of local enlistments arranged by locality and related information compiled by Harry Gilham. Multiple copies. Approx. 2006.
72. Folder: Residents from the Shire of Eltham died in World War II 1939-1945
73. Brochure: Heritage Nillumbik. Includes cover photo and other information about site. Published by Nillumbik Shire Council. About 2006.
74. Newspaper article (enlarged and laminated). Stolen Red gum seats sap new project’s momentum. (Local paper), April 3, 2007
75. Folder> Nillumbik Reconciliation Charter. Opening of the Moor-rul viewing platform 17.4.2008. Compiled by Harry Gilham. Includes newspaper clipping, speech, photocopy of photos with captions.
76. Newspaper article. View from the hill is a thrill. Heidelberg and Diamond Valley Weekly, April 22, 2008
77. Newspaper article. A platform towards reconciliation. Diamond Valley Leader, 23 April 2008.
78. Newspaper article. From that first puff of smoke – horror. Diamond Valley Leader, Feb 25, 2009 p. 7
79. Newspaper article. Towering over the terrain. The Age August 8, 2009
80. Invitation: State Government announcement of refurbishment of KGWM Fire spotting tower 19 October, 2009
81. Newspaper article. Tower– up, Black Saturday watch. Cover and page. Diamond Valley Leader, October 28, 2009
82. Photocopy. Nillumbik Shire Council. Policy and service report re lease of land to Victoria Police for police radio communications and re-building of radio tower. December 9, 2009
83. Invitation. Opening of newly upgraded fire spotting tower, 11 April, 2010
84. Newspaper article. Incredible luxury at fire spotting tower, Diamond Valley Leader, April 21, 2010 p, 5
85. Printout of plan of base of tower including comms cabinet and ladder to CFA cabin. Dated 17/6/2010
86. Newspaper article. (2 copies) Photo and caption. Diamond Valley Leader, July 14, 2010
87. Magazine article and cover. Cover story – The Kangaroo Ground Memorial Tower, The Genealogist, March 2010
88. Newspaper article: 6 reasons to visit Hurstbridge, The Age, Jun 6 2012
89. Copy. Reference enquiry to National Film and Sound Archive. 10 September 2012
90. Newspaper notice: Notice of application for a planning permit to construct radio communications tower, DVL, October 10, 2012
91. Copy letter. Quotation/estimate for Shire of Nillumbik on renovation and underpinning of old care takers cottage, KG. 30 September, 2012
92. Story. The Kangaroo Ground Tower of Remembrance by Amy Shaw. Yarrambat Primary School Year 6 History speech, 2014.
93. Program: Remembrance Day service, 11th November 2014
94. Newspaper article. Tribute to bravery DVL, November 19, 2014.
95. Minutes. MAC meeting. 2 September 2016.
96. FOLDER: Material relating to Menin Gate Painting.
97. Article: Aboriginal cultural values and heritage management issues
98. Photocopy. Melway Kangaroo Ground. Date unknown
99. Nillumbik Shire Recreation Trail Development Policy
100. Brochure: Tourist signing guidelines, 1999
101. Statement. Dennis Ward on Kenneth Jack
102. Colour Brochure: Will Longstaff: art and remembrance, November 2001-February 2002 (Australian War Memorial) 4 pages.
GILHAM FOLDERS 111, 121, 122, 125. Proper Officer's report on an addition to the Kangaroo Ground Memorial Tower for Fire Spotting purposes: "This report covers the history of the tower, its uses, and reasons why it should be put to greater use, benefiting the Shire Council and ratepayers" Includes detailed commentary around the proposal to use the Shire of Eltham War Memorial at Kangaroo Ground for fire spotting. From Shire of Eltham archives. H. J. Masefield Property Officer.
Proper Officer's report on an addition to the Kangaroo Ground Memorial Tower for Fire Spotting purposes: "This report covers the history of the tower, its uses, and reasons why it should be put to greater use, benefiting the Shire Council and ratepayers" Includes detailed commentary around the proposal to use the Shire of Eltham War Memorial at Kangaroo Ground for fire spotting. From Shire of Eltham archives. H. J. Masefield Property Officer.
Eltham Shire Council meetings 14 and 24 September 1973 references to fire watching facilities. Summary of end of season reports from spotters 1965-1973.
Supplementary notes (not related to fire spotting) from friends group or advisory group of Kangaroo Ground War Memorial park including design of seating, proposed budget for works, hand written notes from meeting by H.G. about 1999.
Newspaper clipping; Memorial a fire watch by Marguerite Marshall Diamond Valley News 16 March 1982.
Program for re-dedication of the Kangaroo Ground War Memorial Tower 8th November 2001 with Speaking notes from the day from Nillumbik Shire Mayor, Cr. Sigmund Jorgensen and Harry Gilham and Speech by John Landy, Governor of Victoria
Documents relating to the proposal to upgrade the fire spotting cabin, 2007 including a cost and concept plan dated 7 February 2009.
Shire of Nillumbik Advisory Committee
1. Photocopy. Newspaper clipping. Nillumbik Council seeking nominations for new Kangaroo Ground Memorial Tower and grounds advisory committee. DVN 17 Sept 1997
2. Letter. From NSC to Dean Stewart re heritage listing status. 12 July 1998.
3. Business paper for NSC Council meeting: KG Memorial Tower and Grounds advisory committee, 12 March 2002. Includes Terms of Reference
Friends of Kangaroo Ground War Memorial Park Inc.
1. KG Tower and land occupational health & Safety (guidelines) for volunteers
Archive Box with documentsharry gilham collection, fire spotting, kangaroo ground, shire of eltham war memorial, masefield h. j., cfa, kangaroo ground war memorial park, shire of eltham soldiers' memorial, eltham shire war memorial tower