Sketch Book - Sketch Book of Corporal Francis John Papworth during World War II
From the Collection of Australian Commando Association (Victoria) The Association does not have a museum or address available to the public. Victoria
- Brown cardboard, spiral bound 'The Empire Sketch Book' with five pencil drawings on art paper by Corporal F. J. Papworth during his Commando service at Tarakan Hill, Borneo during World War II. Three of the drawings depict the army camp at Tarakan Hill during May 1945; the fourth drawing shows a young boy from Tarakan sitting on an army jeep and the last is a rough sketch of a baby drawn in 1947.
- H=23cm W=30cm D=0.5cm
- book, world war ii, military, sketch, tarakan, borneo, commando, papworth, may 1945, pencil drawings
- Corporal Francis John Papworth (VX66806) served in the 2/4 Australian Commando Squadron in Timor, New Guinea and Borneo, Tarakan during World War II. His pencil drawn images of the Tarakan camp during May 1945 give an insight into the conditions at that time.
- 5:MMMM, 1945 (exact)
- Corporal Francis John Papworth (Photo Lithographer)
- On front cover in handwritten in ink "PIC of Geo-Wallace/INSIDE". On first drawing handwritten in pencil on top righthand corner "TARAKAN HILL/looking NNE from machine shop section of Tarakan Oilfield/May 15 1945". On second drawing handwritten in pencil at bottom righthand corner "TARAKAN HILL looking from BANK pill box right centre -/15 May 45". On third drawing handwritten in pencil at top righthand corner "TARAKAN HILL and DUTCH/MACHINE SHOPS-Looking from KINGS CROSS/The morning of the 4th May 1945-/0745 hrs-/The Quiet before the storm". On fourth drawing handwritten in top in pencil "Salamit - Peace or Peaceful[l] Used as a Greeting/Salamit-/ORONG LAKI LAKI/TARAKAN. BORNEO/19 MAY 45." All four sketches are signed "John Papworth/Tarakan 1945".On fifth sketch handwritten in pencil "Michael/Signed by/2 Feb 1947".
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM