From the Collection of Australian National Surfing Museum 77 Beach Road Surf City Plaza Surfcoast Highway Torquay Victoria
- Cheyne Horan Star Fin. Moulded polycarbonate red Star Fin. Fin is signed by Cheyne Horan with "HAVE A GOOD SURF FROM Cheyne Horan".
- L17.5cm(base) x H25cm x.W8cm(base) x W16.5cm(wing)
- red, star fin, cheyne horan, ben lexcen, winged keel, bells beach surf contest 1984
- An example of the innovative winged keel design based on the Australia 2 yacht (Americas Cup winner 1982). The Star Fin was a collaboration between Australian pro surfer, Cheyne Horan, and Australia 2 fin designer Ben Lexcen. Horan won 1984 Bells Beach surfing festival riding a board using this fin design.
- Circa 1984
- Star Fin P/L (Manufacturer of moulded plastic surfboard fins)
- This fin design represents a radical departure from surfboard design thinking at that time (early 1980s) Most people were concentrating on multi fin designs Mark Richards with high performance twin fin designs, then Simon Anderson's 3 fin 'Thruster' design. Cheyne Horan employed the talents of innovative yachting designer Ben Lexcen (who designed the Americas Cup winning Australia 2) to design a unique Star Fin which would provide greater hold for a single fin at critical angles. Horan proved the effectiveness of this design by winning the 1984 Rip Curl Pro at Bells beach using a board mounted with one of the Star Fins. The Star fin represents an unusual (for surfing)scientific and innovative design approach. This is a rare and representative item signed by design instigator Cheyne Horan.
- Manufacturers and makers information embossed on base. Concept by Cheyne Horan Design by Ben Lexcen Patent Pending STAR FIN
Made from Lexan Polycarbonate by Star Fin p/l PO Box 1293 Nth Syd Aust.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:08AM