From the Collection of Australian National Surfing Museum 77 Beach Road Surf City Plaza Surfcoast Highway Torquay Victoria
- Kelly Slater surfboard shaped by Al Merrick (Channel Island Surfboards)in 1996. The surfboard is a three fin, 6' 6" rounded pin, colour yellow. The board, with Kelly riding it, featured on the cover of Surfer magazine in November 1996 in a sequence, shot in Indonesia at speed reef Grajagan.
- 6' 6" x 18 1/8" x 2 5/8"
- kelly slater, al merrick, surfer magazine, grajagan, channel island surfboards, quiksilver
- Kelly Slater is contemporary surfing's dominant competitive presence and a truly inspirational surfer. By the end of 2009 Kelly had won a record 9 professional World Surfing Championships. This surfboard is one of Kelly's from 1996 shaped by world renowmed shaper Al Merick from Channel Island Surfboards, Santa Barbara, California. This board was ridden by Kelly in Indonesia in 1996 and featured on the cover of Surfer Magazine in November 1996 in a sequence shot at speed reef Grajagan.
- 1/1/1996 (estimated)
- Al Merrick (Channel Island Surfboards) (Surfboard shaper)
- This surfboard was ridden by Kelly Slater throughout 1996 and most famously featured on the cover of Surfer Magazine. In 1996 Kelly Slater was at the peak of his surfing powers. During this year he won his 4th World Professional Surfing championship equalling the record held by Australian Mark Richards. This surfboard has international significance and represents a number of innovative design trends during this period.
- Deck - Quiksilver, Al Merrick logo
Bottom - 'Glasscraft by Bob Haakenson Santa Barbara' behind last fin. Al Merrick logo 63921A Kelly on stringer
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:11AM