From the Collection of Australian National Surfing Museum 77 Beach Road Surf City Plaza Surfcoast Highway Torquay Victoria
- Hollow Wooden Plywood Surfboard. Hand made Ockanui, single fin.
9' 11" x 21 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Nose 17 3/4" Tail 13"
Fin 4 3/4" Base 1 3/4"
- See Above
- 2010 10006
- ockanui, peter watson, hollow wooden surfboard
- This Ockanui Hollow Plywood Surfboard was shaped by Peter Watson and his father at their family home in Murrumbeena in 1959 (Peter was aged 16 at the time). The surfboard was based on a series of full size plans purchased from the USA. The surfboard is made from marine ply, ureal/resorcinal glue, marine varnish, copper nails, the skeg (fin) is Huon Pine made from an old kitchen sink drain board.
- 1/1/1959 (estimated)
- Peter Watson and Alfred Watson (Hands shapers / makers of wooden surfboard)
- This surfboard is an excellent example of the type of hollow wooden surfboards being made in the USA and Australia in 1959.
- No distinct inscriptions or markings. Skeg made from old kitchen sink (Huon Pine).
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:08AM