Display of Work, Mary Norman-Bail - Mary Norman-Bail and Pathfinder School Display of Work, ca mid-20C
From the Collection of Ararat & District Historical Society operating the Langi Morgala Museum 48 Queen Street Ararat Victoria
- Postcard, with letter to an unknown recipient from Mary Norman-Bail on the back in longhand in ink.
- education, school, teacher, art, class, photographer, norman, collage, norman-bail, bail, educator, pupil, pathfinder-school, curriculum, grade, progressive-education, artist, painter, artwork
- This photo-postcard displays the books, collages and artwork of the children of Mary Norman-Bail's Pathfinder School. Unfortunately the photo is not very clear, so individual items cannot be closely assessed, but Langi Morgala Museum holds other photos and items which are similar to the items in this photo.
- ca mid-20C
- Maker not known
- This is one of a collection of several hundred photos, books, documents and teaching aids donated to Langi Morgala Museum by Jessica Norman-Bail (or by her estate). Almost all the collection relates to Jessica's mother, the photographer, artist and educator Mary Norman-Bail, and to Mary Norman-Bail's Pathfinder School, which was located in Ararat for several years in the first half of the twentieth century. In total, the Norman-Bail collection provides an illuminating picture of the unique Pathfinder school, though much of the collection is yet to be analysed. The Langi Morgala Norman-Bail collection is of local signficance; but further research into the collection, and into Norman-Bail's work and ideas, may enhance the significance further.
- There is a full-page letter to the recipient of the postcard on the back: "This is some of the / work that brought / credit and honour to the school / through the Australian / Boradcasting Commission. / You cannot see the books very well / but they are beautifully / illustrated and are / at present being / sent round the schools in Japan. / M.Norman-Bail [illegible, but probably the school's initials] / Ararat Vic."
- 11 Feb 2018 at 12:16PM