Musical Instrument - Snowy McAlister's Ukelele
From the Collection of Australian National Surfing Museum 77 Beach Road Surf City Plaza Surfcoast Highway Torquay Victoria
- Handcrafted Hawaiian, Kumalae ukelele, light brown in colour,missing one of the four original tuning knobs.
- H52cm c W15cm x D6.5cm
- snowy mcalister, jonah kumalae, kumalae ukelele
- This ukelele was owned by Snowy McAlister one of the most famous surfers to come out of the Manly surf scene during the 20th century. Snowy won eleven surfboard 'display' contests in Sydney and Newcastle from 1923-1936 including the first 'Australian Championship at Manly Beach in 1924.
- Jonah Kumalae (Maker)
- This ukelele belonged to one of the most influential surfers during the 20th century. It was made by Jonah Kumalae of Hawaii during the early part of the 20th century. It represents the connection between surfing and music as personified by this musical instrument made popular in Hawaii during this period.
- Kumalae logo on the top of the neck of the ukelele.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM