Historical information

One of the toll bags used to collect tolls on the Great Ocean Road. First "Toll Gate" at Sunnymeade Estate as the road went through land owned by Mr C J Lane. Toll gates followed at "Stradbroke Point",later changed to "Stradbroke Knoll" named after the Govenor of Victoria, Lord Stradbroke, Grassy Creek and "The Springs". Mr W D McKay first toll keeper, then Mr & Mrs Wright. Toll commenced circa 1925 and ended 2nd October 1936. Cars were charged at 2/6 for car and driver and 1/- for each passenger. Motor cycles 2/-.

Physical description

Brown leather bag, with adjustable shoulder strap for carrying. Enclosed with a flap done up by 2 buckles.

Inscriptions & markings

Hand scratched on front of bag:-"GREAT OCEAN ROAD TRUST".