Historical information

Thought to have been made and used by one of the two Struss brothers who were both carpenters in Scotland before coming to Victoria in 1848 and 1854. They dealt in hardware, living and selling in Walhalla, Woods Point and Matlock. It finally became the property of Elsa Struss of South Yarra, the sister-in-law of the donor.

Many tradesmen had chests such as this to carry and store tools.

Physical description

Large wooden box/trunk, painted Mission Brown. Three tin braces support each corner joint. Four hinges, two at the back and two inoperational at the front. Lid corners and edges braced with tin strips and shaped corners. Loop and hasp at front. Metal handles on the side. Pink paint on base.