Historical information

James Tyson (8 April 1819 - 4 December 1898) purchased Heyfield Station from the Firebrace family in the late 1860s. Tyson referred to Heyfield as his "cabbage patch".

Tyson was famous for insisting his workers were accommodated at the same standard as he was, and arranged for George Drew (1834-1892) and his family to come to Heyfield from his home station at Deniliquin to make bricks for the homestead and for the workers quarters. As far as can be ascertained they arrived in 1868, and selected land that became known as the Brick Yard. After making the bricks for Tyson he operated as would any normal brickmaker.

George carried on the business until his death, with it being then operated by his sons Jack and Henry. Many buildings in the district contain Drew bricks, which are sometimes smaller than normal bricks. The most accessible example is the first Anglican Church of 1874, now in the school grounds.


This brick has historical significance as an example of one of the early bricks made by the family, similar to those made for James Tyson, an important figure in Australian history.

It has community significance as the story of the Drew family (who still remain in Heyfield) provides the community with a strong link to Tyson. The family has remained linked to the Anglican Church (having made the bricks for the first church), as well as being active in the wider local community.

Physical description

A single clay brick with two thumbprints in diagonal corners, ends glazed.