The Melbourne Harbour Trust Commission purchased the steam dredge SIR WILLIAM MATHEWS on 10 October 1941 from the Western Australian Government. Although the dredge was described as a suction dredge it was in fact a bucket dredge. After an overhaul, the vessel was renamed the GEORGE KERMODE and commenced operation in Victorian waters on 22 June 1942. The vessel was hired out to the Port of Burnie in 1945-46 but continued in the ownership of the Trust until 1 April 1976 when it was scuttled by the Department of Conservation, Forests and Lands as part of their artificial reef program. This program resulted in a number of reefs being established in Port Phillip Bay, including one off Carrum containing the wooden steamer URALBA.
Timber and brass ship's wheel from center ladder hopper dredge George Kermode (formerly Sir William Mathews). Built Paisley Scotland 1914.
Inscriptions & markings