The bell was installed in the late 1880s at Myrtleford State School 955, Elgin Street, Myrtleford and rang there until the school relocated to a new site in early 1939. The bell followed the pupils to O'Donnell Avenue, but was dismantled and placed in storage in the 1950s.
This bell is tied to the early daily life of state schooling in Elgin Street, from the commencement of the decline of gold mining in the district until immediately before the outbreak of World War 2. It is also related to the daily lives of children who participated in the "consolidation" of state schooling at O'Donnell Avenue and the development of "higher elementary" education.
Large complete brass school bell with steel tongue.
Inscriptions & markings
Inscription: "C. Wilson & Co., Founders, Glasgow, A.D. 1885"