This sign was required to be displayed in the vicinity of gold mining sites. Myrtleford district was known to have had 100 sites within a ten mile radius of the town; the sign was recovered by Charlie McFadyen, a local prospector and fossicker, of some 60 years
The sign relates to local gold mining activity, a key source of wealth and employment from 1854 to the late 19th century. Such signs continued to be in use during the period between World War 1 and 2,including the period of the Great Depression.
Tin rectangular mining sign embossed with a warning
Inscriptions & markings
Inscription: "THIS LAND IS AURIFEROUS AND SUBJECT TO MINING CONDITIONS"