Hop Growers Photograph - "Panlook Boys, 1934"
From the Collection of Myrtleford and District Historical Society 29 Elgin Street Myrtleford Victoria
- A sepia-coloured photograph of 30 hop pickers.
- 25 cm x 15 cm
- hop growing. panlooks hop gardens. eurobin
- The photograph represents the migratory labour force involved in hop growing, the major farm activity on "Panlook's Hop Gardens", Eurobin in 1934. William Panlook a descendant of a Chinese storekeeper on the Buckland Diggings, had originally commenced tobacco growing at the location until devastating frosts and unreliable tobacco prices brought a change in land use.
- The photograph represents the transition that occurred from tobacco to hops cultivation in the early 1930s. It is now a permanent feature of the farming landscape at Eurobin. It depicts the reliance on migratory seasonal labour and the importance of local expertise, some of Chinese descent.
- Inscription: "The Panlook Boys, 1934"
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:09AM