From the Collection of Myrtleford and District Historical Society 29 Elgin Street Myrtleford Victoria
- A small cast iron and wooden guillotine-style tobacco cutter. The metal cutter is mounted on the wooden base, with a wooden striker plate.
- Wooden base: 24 cm x 7.5 cm. Metal lever: Length 23 cm. Overall Dimensions: 6 cm x 6 cm.
- tobacco cutter
- This plug tobacco cutter was collected locally and displayed as part of the memorabilia display at the Tobacco Company of Victoria Ltd., Myrtleford. Plug tobacco could be acquired on tobacco farms or purchased at local outlets.
- Tobacco cutters were significant tools for pipe smokers until self-made or manufactured cigarettes began to dominate the tobacco sales market from the 1920s. Such cutters are a link to a previously common means of consuming tobacco.
- Inscription "McMillan" appears on the striker plate.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:10AM