Stories Organisations Projects About Login


From the Collection of Sunshine and District Historical Society Incorporated HUNT CLUB, 775 Ballarat Road, Deer Park 3023. SUNSHINE LIBRARY, Hampshire Road, Sunshine 3020. Victoria

Black and white photograph of the former hospital which was of weatherboard construction, and which was located at 9 King Edward Ave, Albion Vic.
21 cm (H) X 26 cm (W)
Object Registration
sunshine community hospital, st andrews hospital, carruthers sisters, sunshine & district community hospital, king edward avenue hospital, 9 king edward avenue
Historical information
The hospital was established (circa 1920's) by the Carruthers sisters, who both were qualified nursing sisters. It was later known as St Andrews. The hospital became the Sunshine & District Community Hospital on 15 September 1946. Many local people were born in this hospital. The First Annual Report for period 15 September 1946 to 30 June 1947 states that there were 182 births, and that 413 patients were admitted. The daily average of patients during this period was 15.3 of whom 37.8% were members and 62.2% non members. It ended its use as a hospital in 1989, and the buildings were demolished to be replaced by residential units.
When Made
This was the main hospital in the Sunshine area serving the local residents for several decades. Its usefulness as a local hospital became irrelevant when the significantly larger Sunshine Hospital in Furlong Rd became operational.
Last updated
3 Feb 2020 at 4:58PM