The former Ballarat Gaol was commenced in 1856 and completed in 1862, This view looks up Lydiard Street South, and was taken before the Ballarat Courthouse was built south of the gaol in 1868. The wall was built from quarried basalt with local bricks. A system of burning the lime mortar between the joints and the shape of the wall meant it had a high degree of stability.
From 1870 on more buildings were constructed and these became the School of Mines and Industries Ballarat. The Gaol closed in 1965.
This image shows the Ballarat Gaol c. 1861 giving us an understanding of what the site looked like before all the changes that have occurred over the years since the gaol closed and other organisations have had the site.
Black and white image showing the former Ballarat Gaol from Lydiard Street South.
Inscriptions & markings
Label on underneath photograph: The Ballarat Gaol, c.1861 - This view looks up Lydiard Street towards our present school entrance. The gaol buildings remain unchanged . Note that the Court House, now S.M.B's Elec. classrooms, has not yet been built on the right hand side of the gaol.