Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre) Mount Helen, Victoria

The Federation University Australia Historical Collection, (formerly University of Ballarat), is held in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC), and is located on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus). The GBRC includes three special book collections of the library, the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection, the Federation University Australia Research Collection, and the Creedy Economics Collection.

Titles from the three library special collections can be searched online via http://innopac.federation.edu.au, but must be read in the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Supervised Reading Room.

The Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the formation of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1869. The collection covers material from Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland, Gippsland Institute and University of Ballarat. It is particularly strong in the themes of mining, education, and local history.

On 01 January 2014 the University became Federation University Australia with the amalgamation of the University of Ballarat and Monash University’s Gippsland campus. FedUni brings together skills and expertise throughout Ballarat, Gippsland and the Western region of Victoria for the benefit of our regional communities.

Links

Contact Information

location
Federation University Australia, Mt Helen Campus Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre, E.J. Barker Library (PO Box 663, Ballarat, VIC, 3353) Mt Helen Victoria 3350 (map)
phone
+61 03 5327 9168

Contact

Opening Hours

Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre Hours: Tues 9.30am - 1.00pm Wed 1.00pm to 5.00pm Thurs 1.00pm to 5.00pm Fri 9.30am - 1.00pm or by appointment

Entry Fee

Free

Location

Federation University Australia E.J. Barker Library (top floor) Mount Helen Victoria

View on Google Maps

The Federation University Historical Collection is located at the Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre (GBRC) on the top floor of the E.J. Barker Library (Mt Helen Campus) and includes a supervised reading room where collections can be accessed and read. The GBRC also houses the Geoffrey Blainey Mining Collection and the Federation University Library Special Collections.

Titles from the Federation University Library collections can be searched online at http://innopac.federation.edu.au. The Federation University Historical Art Collection online catalogue is located at http://guerin.ballarat.edu.au/curator/collection/ and the Federation University Historical Collection is searchable via Victorian Collections.

Federation University Historical Collection is an extensive collection of historical material dating from the opening of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1870. The collection covers material from the Federation University's predecessors including the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat Teachers' College, State College of Victoria, Ballarat; the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education, Ballarat College of Advanced Education, Ballarat University College, Wimmera Institute of TAFE, Monash Gippsland and University of Ballarat.

Significance

Federation University Historical Collection is significant because of its emphasis on local education, particularly at the tertiary level. It relates to the Ballarat School of Mines, Australia's first technical school, are an important aspect of the collection. Material on former staff, students and local identities are also housed in the collection. Through the Ballarat School of Mines Federation University is the third oldest tertiary institution in Australia, and has resulted in a strong and important emphasis on mining in the collection.

Mrs Robyn Thompson 2 September 2016 9:17 AM

Hello. I have just seen a photo of Pioneers of Ballarat on the web site. It has the Object registration 15771. A large group of men. I see my great ancestor D GUNN the photo. As I'm searching my family tree, I would love to have the photo of him Any chance that someone can help me with my request. Please contact me on thombsh@gmail.com Robyn Thompson (Mrs)

Amanda Osborne 25 September 2016 4:28 PM

My great great grandfather, William Simpson, and his three brothers worked in a mining area called Hard Hills near or between Ballarat and Buninyong. He married Mary Kelly, an Irish Orphan girl,arrived on the Pemberton in May 1849, the same year. Can you please tell me if you can identify a previous gold mining area called Hard Hills or if there is any documentation or photographic records relating to same. My gratitude and thanks in anticipation. Amanda Osborne guenevere13@hotmail.com 0437130393

Leave a comment

5787 items

Photograph, Black and White

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Photograph of Frank Wright .1) Black and white photograph of a man dressed in a suit and hat and standing on what appears to be the deck of a boat with a sail above. The vessel is a short distance from the shore. In the distance is a field and a town nestled at the base of rolling hills. The man is Frank Wright. .2) Black and white photograph of 4 men on the deck of the 'Rangatina', Lyttelton, New Zealand. The men are Bill Stevenson, Frank Wright, John Osborne and Charlie Patchett.

Historical information

Frank Wright was a renown resident of Smeaton, where he was born on 2 August 1901. He lived at Laura Villa, and attended Smeaton State School. His father William was a gold miner and his mother's name was Sarah. Their family won many singing and instrumental awards. Frank was tutored by Percy Code and was awarded a gold medal for the highest marks in the ALCM examinations in the British Colonies at the age of seventeen years. He became the Australian Open Cornet Champion by the age of eighteen. A year later, Frank conducted the City of Ballarat Band, and later the Ballarat Soldiers’ Memorial Band. He formed the Frank Wright Frisco Band and Frank Wright and his Coliseum Orchestra. These bands won many South Street awards, and Frank as conductor won many awards in the Australian Band Championship contest. In 1933 Frank Wright sailed to England to conduct the famous St Hilda’s Band and was later appointed Musical Director of the London County Council, where he organized many amazing concerts in parks, in and around the London district. He was made Professor of Brass and Military Band Scoring and conducted at the Guildhall of Music and Drama. Frank was often invited to adjudicate Brass Band Championships around Europe, in Australia, including South Street and in New Zealand. The Frank Wright Medal at the Royal South Street competition is awarded to an individual recognized as making an outstanding contribution to brass music in Australia.

Correspondence - Chatham-Holmes Collection: Mary Elizabeth Chatham: Cards received for various occasions

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Cards and notes received for different occasions - Get Well, Easter, Mothers' Day, Sympathy

Correspondence - Sebastopol Technical School to the Ballarat School of Mines

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Quarto sized Sebastopol Technical School letterhead from headmaster W.E. Matheson to Jack Barker, Principal of the Ballarat School of Mines. The correspondence lists students from Sebastopol Technical school who had been awarded a Junior Scholarship. These were Kristina Saw, Joy Stoneman, Vivienne Bull, Jennifer Surman, Kevin Manning, Garry Tempany, Kevin McIlvena and Domenico Micich

Artwork - General Design and Modelling by Alice Watson, 1931

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Thirty One artworks by Edith (Alice) Watson on General Design and Modelling as undertaken as a subject at the Ballarat Technical Art School.

Historical information

Alice Watson was a student at the Ballarat Technical Art School. Her whole folio is held by Federation University Australia.

Object - Hand Held Television - small backlight unit

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Small grey analogue television. When the unit is open the image is reflected by a mirror. With the change to digital signals this unit would not work without a settop box.

Historical information

CITIZEN 06TA: One of the most common Handheld-TVs with a "Solar Projection System" - A mirror reflects the picture from the LCD for viewing. Shown with and without the optional backlight-unit 92TA. 65 mm passive matrix LCD (European versions: 130 * 160 = 20,800 dots, US version: 146 * 160 = 23,360 dots), 190 grams with 4 AAA-size batteries. (http://www.guenthoer.de/e-mini.htm)

Inscriptions & Markings

Serial No. 8C6 88053\model No 06TA-OG DC 6V - 0.3W Batt. Supp: 15v x 4

Photograph - Colour - Stained Glass Windows at the Ballarat Technical Art School, 2015

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Colour photographs showing the interior and the Stained Glass Windows at the Ballarat Technical Art School.

Photograph - Colour - Mount Lyell, 1992

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Panorama of the Mount Lyell Mine

Magazine - Quadrangle: Magazine of the Ballarat Technical School, 1977

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Blue, yellow, black and white soft covered magazine. It includes a history of the Ballarat Technical School. The magazine lists ex students who played AFL football at the highest level, namely Michael Malthouse (Richmond); Val Perovic and Robert Muir (St Kilda), Don Disher (Ballarat, winner of Henderson Medal)

Historical information

In 1977 the Ballarat Technical School was closed, and officially removed from the list of post-primary schools in Victoria on 01 January 1977.

Object - Synchronome Frequency Checking Master Clock No. 2191

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Two clocks in a timber case. Both are electric, one is powered by the main pendulum mechanism, the other is a self contained electric clock. The main mechanism is of the gravity arm and roller type, which sends an impulse to the slave clocks every 30 seconds. The This Synchronome Frequency Checking Master Clock was used at the Ballarat Power Station. Below the main section of the case is a smaller cabinet containing a rectifier to provide consistent DC power for the clock. The rectifier was made by the Victorian company Hilco, which was located in Burwood. There is a high chance this is not the original rectifier from this clock as there appears to be brackets to hold a larger device in the space the rectifier occupies.

Historical information

Information from Norman F. Dalton: Ballarat had a reticulated DC supply in the early part of last century and in 1905 had sufficient generating capacity to enable the trams to be changed from horse drawn to DC electricity. The use of electricity increased with the main power station located on Wendouree Parade, near Webster Street, under the ownership of The Electric Supply Company of Victoria. AC generating plant was installed in 1925 and conversion to AC proceeded. In 1934 the company was taken over by the State Electricity Commission Victoria (SECV) and more AC generation was installed and the changeover of customers was accelerated. This is around the time that the Synchronome Frequency Checking Mast Clock was installed at the Wendouree Parade Power Station. The SECV Annual Report of 1921 states: ::Section 11 of the act directed the COmmission to enquire into the question of securing the adoption of such standards of plant and equipment of a system, frequency and pressure for the generation and distribution of electricity as will admit of the efficient interconnection of undertakings throughout the State. In 1934 when the SECV took over the Ballarat operations the question of linking with the State grid had been a planned operation for some years but due to financial considerations had hindered it and in fact would continue to do so for a further 10 years. So while the need for close frequency control for interconnection was hardly an issue, the need to keep electric clocks correct was important, particularly as this item was a frequent sales point to cover the inconvenience and sometimes expense of converting from DC to AC. The clock is a very accurate pendulum clock with provision for varying effective length during operation for precise time regulation. There are two normal time dials and one is controlled by the pendulum and the other is operated by the system frequency. When the clock was in use it was installed by the MEter and Tests Laboratory and the time was checked daily by radio time signals. The two dials were repeated in the operators control panel in the Power Station. A maximum deviation between the two dials was set in the operating instructions (eg 5 seconds) and the operator would correct this when necessary by remote manual alteration of the turbine governor set point. The clock was used to drive and regulate a system of "slave" clocks which were used to display the time in various locations around the power station. A slave clock is a simple clock which is driven by a small electric motor, its accuracy is regulated by the master clock every 30 seconds to ensure that it and all the other slave clocks in the station are on exactly the right time; slave clocks were placed in various locations, from common rooms to workshops. A master clock could potentially run thousands of slave clocks at one plant. The clock also contains a rectifier. A rectifier is a device that is used to convert AC power to more stable DC current.

Inscriptions & Markings

Front below main clock face on front of case: "Patented Sychronome Brisbane" Lower left-hand clock face: "Frequency time" Lower right-hand clock face: "Standard Seconds" Synchronous electric clock mechanism on door (Frequency time clock): >200/250 V. 50~ >"Synchronomains" Made in England >Direction indicator for clock starting switch >"To start move lever in direction of arrow and release" >"Patent applied for" Mechanism for "standard seconds" clock: >"English Made" >"Patented" >Serial number "321" >0 above right-hand pillar on front-plate Mechanism for "standard seconds" clock: >"English Made" >"Patented" >Serial number "321" >0 above right-hand pillar on front-plate Mechanism for main clock face: >"English Made" >"Patented" >Serial number "8751" >0 above right-hand pillar on front-plate Inside case, back panel, top enamel plate: >Seconds Battery + Pos. > Battery Common or - Neg. >1/2 min dials Inside case, back panel, bottom enamel plate: external seconds dial Inside case, right hand side, electrical knobs: two switches, both "A.C. mains" Pendulum rod, below suspension spring: Serial number (?) 0000005 Rectifier in bottom cabinet: >"Hilco Rectifier" >"A.C. Volts 230/240" >"Model 1060/S" >"A.C. Amperes" >"Serial No. 1060/S >"Phases 1" >"D.C. Volts 6" >"C.P.S. 50" >"D.C. Amperes 1" >"Made in Australia by Hilco Transformers McIntyre St., Burwood, Victoria." Bakelite electrical plug: makers mark Lower cabinet, RH side panel, pressed tin plate: "AC" (upside down) Brass speed adjustment, outer right RH side: "S" and "F" Ivory and wood pendulum beat ruler: >Ruler, with 0 in centre and numbers 1-5 in ascending order from centre on left and right. > "Synchronome Patent." Steel plate, back panel, inside case, right hand side: >N R A" (descending) >"2191" serial number/part number Face of main clock: "Synchronome Electric"

Book - Early Pioneers in and Around Clunes

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Brown covered book of 156 pages

Stencil - BCFB stencil by Keith Rash

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Cardboard stencil of the letters BCFB - probably Ballarat City Fire Brigade - as made and used by Keith Rash of K.E. Signwriter.

Photograph - sepia - Ballarat Soldiers Memorial Band

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Black and white photograph of the Ballarat Soldiers' Memorial Band, posing in uniform and with instruments outside the Ranger barracks (Later used as Dan Murphy's Ballarat)

Historical information

Ballarat Soldiers Memorial Band, Frank Wright Conductor. Winners of B. Grade South Street Championship and quickstep. 2nd A grade quick

Inscriptions & Markings

Richards & Co Ballarat in lower right corner .2) Verso in pencil "Ballarat Soldiers Memorial Band. Frank Wright Conductor. Winners B Grade South St Championship and quickstep 2nd A grade quickstep and 2nd a grade aggregate. October 1932. Absent solo euphonium Bert Harding, cornet Vernon Hall

Book - If, and What? Lectures on Theism

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Brown hard covered book of 257 pages published in 1882. Includes a line drawing of William Henderson. If. and What? is twelve lectures on the foundations of Christian Theism. The lectures are: 1. God and World - One or Two 2. Possibility of a Scientific Theism 3. Aetiology, or origin of cause 4. Teleology, or Source of Purpose 5. Theology of the conscience, or Fountain of Morality 6. Ontology, or God as Supreme Being 7. origins of Religion 8. Self- Limitation of the Infinite 9. God as father 10. The Divine Infinite and the Divine Love 11. God in Christ 12 Alpha and Omega

Historical information

William Henderson was a minster of St Andrew's Kirk, Ballarat. Theism is the belief of a divine reality, usually referring to non-theism (one good).

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed on title page "James Henderson"

Sketch - Sketch of Elands River Siege

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Sketched paper map of forces' distribution at the Elands River siege. Map details surrounding hills, roads, rivers, and names all soldiers involved in siege.

Historical information

Plan based on the field notes of Captain David John Ham, V.B.C. For article written by Ham on the event, see http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9542500 For obituary of Ham, see http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/11023251

Magazine - Making Connections

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Red magazine, making connections, University of Ballarat, 24 pages

Booklet - What Where When in Ballarat and District

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Photograph - Black and White - Frank Wright on the Canon at View Point, Lake Wendouree, 1922

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Black and white photograph of a man dressed in a three piece suit sitting on a canon which is located in a park overlooking a lake. Trees and houses can be seen on the other side of the lake. The man is Frank Wright and the place is "View Point", Lake Wendouree, Ballarat.

Historical information

Frank Wright was a renown resident of Smeaton, where he was born. He lived at Laura Villa, and attended Smeaton State School. His father William was a gold miner and his mother's name was Sarah. Their family won many singing and instrumental awards. Frank was tutored by Percy Code and was awarded a gold medal for the highest marks in the ALCM examinations in the British Colonies at the age of seventeen years. He became the Australian Open Cornet Champion by the age of eighteen. A year later, Frank conducted the City of Ballarat Band, and later the Ballarat Soldiers’ Memorial Band. He formed the Frank Wright Frisco Band and Frank Wright and his Coliseum Orchestra. These bands won many South Street awards, and Frank as conductor won many awards in the Australian Band Championship contest. In 1933 Frank Wright sailed to England to conduct the famous St Hilda’s Band and was later appointed Musical Director of the London County Council, where he organized many amazing concerts in parks, in and around the London district. He was made Professor of Brass and Military Band Scoring and conducted at the Guildhall of Music and Drama. Frank was often invited to adjudicate Brass Band Championships around Europe, in Australia, including South Street and in New Zealand. The Frank Wright Medal at the Royal South Street competition is awarded to an individual recognized as making an outstanding contribution to brass music in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written in pen on back - Frank Wright - on canon at "View Point", Lake Wendouree, Ballarat. Photo by Vernon Holt 3/2/22

Book - Federation University Annual Report, 2017

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Booklet - Ballarat School of Mines, Student Magazine, Fourth Term, 1910

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Magazine of 24 pages.

Historical information

Table of Contents: Editorial, Rotary converter notes, Ambulance, Slime treatment for attraction of gold, Description of slime settler or dewaterer in use at the Brownhill Consols mine Kalgoorlie, Transval geology, Chlorine produced electrolytically, Scaling of copper plates, The eucalyptus, Sports meeting, Rowing, Past students, News and notes, Answers to correspondents, Editorial notices. Images.

Plan - South Dividend Quartz Mining Company Plan

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A hand drawn and coloured plan showing the position of the following gold mines in Steiglitz - South Dividend Company, the Marquis of Lorne Company, New Year's Reef, Malekoff Company and the Brazilian Reef.

Book - The Mining Fields of Moina, Mt Claude, and Lorinna, 1919

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Brown soft covered book

Photograph - Black and White - Chatham-Holmes Collection: House (location unknown)

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Historical information

Unknown house on the corner of an intersection. Location appears to be in a built-up or city area.

Book - Manual of Assaying, 1900

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Blue hard covered book.

Exercise Book - Monica Miller's Speech Training Notes

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Black cardboard cover with burgandy tape on spine. The book contained beautifully handwritten notes on speech training by Monica Miller who lectured at the Ballarat Teachers' College. The lectures were given by Kathleen George at Lee Street State School, Carlton.

Historical information

Former Ballarat Teachers' College (BTC) students from 1946 to 1965 remember music lecturer Monica Miller with great fondness. Speech Training was also the domain of Monica Miller at BTC. Her Speech Training class notes include: Voice, Articulation parts, Correct positions for consonants, vowels and dipthongs, Phonetic Stules, Correction of Speech Defects, Speech Training in the schools, Poetry Appreciation, Rhythm, Lessons for county classes, Lessons for Student Teacher Classes and Lessons to Grades. (taken from http://guerin.ballarat.edu.au/curator/honour-roll/honourroll_miller.shtml)

Photograph - Colour - Mount Lyell, 1992

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Panorama of Mount Lyell Mine

Photograph - Colour - Federation University Mt Helen S Building

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Two photographs of laboratories in the Mount Helen S Building pre refurbishment.

Historical information

In 206-7 the Science (S) building was being refurbished and repurposed.

Booklet - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report 1903

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Ballarat School of Mines annual Report. No cover on booklet, 8 pages.

Historical information

Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report 1903. President's Annual Report, Statement of Receipts and Expenditure for the year 1903 of the Ballarat School of Mines.

Photograph - Black and White - Frank Wright and friends at Picnic Point, Toowoomba

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Black and white photograph of a group of five men dressed in suits (three with hats) and wearing badges and ribbons. Three are seated and two are standing behind.They are perhaps the adjucators for a band competition. The middle seated man is Frank Wright and the place is Toowoomba in Queensland.

Historical information

Frank Wright was a renown resident of Smeaton, where he was born on 2 August 1901. He lived at Laura Villa, and attended Smeaton State School. His father William was a gold miner and his mother's name was Sarah. Their family won many singing and instrumental awards. Frank was tutored by Percy Code and was awarded a gold medal for the highest marks in the ALCM examinations in the British Colonies at the age of seventeen years. He became the Australian Open Cornet Champion by the age of eighteen. A year later, Frank conducted the City of Ballarat Band, and later the Ballarat Soldiers’ Memorial Band. He formed the Frank Wright Frisco Band and Frank Wright and his Coliseum Orchestra. These bands won many South Street awards, and Frank as conductor won many awards in the Australian Band Championship contest. In 1933 Frank Wright sailed to England to conduct the famous St Hilda’s Band and was later appointed Musical Director of the London County Council, where he organized many amazing concerts in parks, in and around the London district. He was made Professor of Brass and Military Band Scoring and conducted at the Guildhall of Music and Drama. Frank was often invited to adjudicate Brass Band Championships around Europe, in Australia, including South Street and in New Zealand. The Frank Wright Medal at the Royal South Street competition is awarded to an individual recognized as making an outstanding contribution to brass music in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Written in pen on the back - On Picnic Point Toowoomba, (Q), Easter 1922, Taken by Snowy Jane

Model - Edwards' Ore Reduction Furnace Model

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Metal model of Edwards' Ore Reduction Furnace. The model includes cogwheels, rabbles and other details. Scale is thought to be around 1:20

Historical information

This model of a mechanical ore roasting and chloridising furnace was invented and patented by Thomas Edwards of the Edwards Pyrites Smelting and Ore Reduction Company. This new type of furnace produced a high standard of sulphur free ore known as ‘sweet roasted’. Edwards used this model for demonstrations in the USA. Of note is the central large vertical cogwheel (externally driven) which drives small vertical cogwheels via angled cogging drives. These in turn drive a horizontal wheel. Each side of the vertical wheel is set on an opposite side to the horizontal wheel of its neighbours, resulting in opposite direction rotation of neighbouring horizontal wheels. Each horizontal wheel turns a rabble (set of vertical iron paddles) within the furnace. These rabbles, each turning in opposite direction to its neighbours, move the roasting ore in a zig-zag path through the furnace. The elongated furnace with its line of rabbles produced a much ‘sweeter’ roasted ore than could be obtained from a typical tank-shaped furnace. In 1924, when the model was donated to the Ballarat School of Mines, Ballarat’s Courier newspaper reported, ‘Apart from its historical and education value, the gift should serve to stimulate the inventive faculties of the students who have to win fame for the school and for themselves in the metallurgical world.’

Image - Ballarat School of Mines former Court House and Chemistry Laboratory, 1882

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Image of the Ballarat School of Mines, Lydiard Street in 1882. It shows the first building (former Circuit Courthouse), and the Chemistry Buildings. The lower chimney is a gauge tower designed by Henry Richards Caselli

Historical information

The Ballarat School of Mines was Australia's first, and was established in 1870. The former Ballarat Circuit Court was the first site of the Ballarat School of Mines. This building was demolished to make way for the Ballarat Technical Art School which was opened in 1915.

Book - Flat Ornament: A Pattern Book Of Designs of Textiles, Embroideries, Wall Papers, Inlays, Etc.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Large brown hardcovered book with leather spine.

Inscriptions & Markings

Stamped " Ballarat School of Art Library: Bookplate of the Ballarat Technical School Library R/5

Book - Journal pertaining to PROSPECTS

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Green water marked linen covered journal with maroon spine with red feint lined blue pages. Label on front cover is cream with black printing JOURNAL with handwriting in ink. Hand written in black ink and pencil. Marbled paper inside front and back cover. Some loose pages inside. 21 pages cut out from front 1-21.

Historical information

This plan is associated with former Ballarat School of Mines Student Richard Squire (1875-1876). Gift of the Squire Family

Inscriptions & Markings

PROSPECTS NO 2 SHAFT written in ink across length of pages

Photograph - black and white - Ballarat School of Mines TAFE Art Teachers

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Left to right: ?, Alistair Heighway, Brian McLennan, Val D'Angru, Betty Collier, ?

Invoices and receipt - Stokes & Sons of Brunswick to Ballarat Junior Technical School

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

.1 Blue invoice relating to an order of 100 gilt and enamel tiepins for the Ballarat Junior Technical School Old Boys Association - C/- Mr R Hoching .2 Pink credit note relating to the sales tax exemption on the goods ordered in invoice above .3 Receipt relating to invoice and credit note. Three penny stamp duty stamp attached to receipt.

Booklet - Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report, 1966-1967

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Ballarat School of Mines Annual Report

Photograph - Black and White - We Made it 100 Days

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Black and white photograph with three people with a cake on which is written 'We Made it 100 Days'. From left to right the people are Alison Lanigan (Secretary to the State College of Victoria, Ballarat Principal), Ian Page and Mary Egan.

Mining Lamp - Welsh Mining Lamp

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Solid Brass traditional miners Flame Safety Lamp with Copper Chimney. The base of this lamp is tooled from solid brass because brass does not spark when it hits rock and is therefore the safest metal to use underground. The lamp burns lamp oil (kerosene).

Historical information

This lamp is typical of lamps used in Welsh Coal Mines. It was purchased from the supplier around mid 1995. The Welsh Miners’ Lamps were ingeniously designed over 180 years ago to alert coal miners to danger. It ensures the burning of a protected flame in the presence of explosive gas, by regulating the necessary supply of atmospheric air, and by allowing the products of combustion to pass through without igniting the gaseous atmosphere. If the atmosphere is so heavily charged that noxious gas enters the lamp, its presence will be indicated by a change in the length and color of the flame, and (unless there are exceptional circumstances), the miner has sufficient warning to secure his safety. (http://www.welshminerslamps.com/info_lamp_personaluse.shtml, accessed 06/05/2015) E. Thomas & Williams, Ltd. mining lamps have been in continuous production since 1860. Cambrian Lamps are approved for use in coal mines where methan gas and oxygem deficinecy are hazards.

Inscriptions & Markings

R. Thomas and Williams Ltd Makers Aberdare Wales Cambrian No 152897

Photograph - Black and White - St Hilda's Band and Roy Stewart Dancers at Morecambe Lanes 1934

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Black and white photograph of a group of men and women standing in an auditorium. Some are in band uniform and carrying their instruments whilst the rest are in highland dance costume. The band is St Hilda's with the conductor Frank Wright. The dance troupe is Roy Stewart Dancers of Scotland. The place is Morecambe Lanes, London.

Historical information

Frank Wright was a renown resident of Smeaton, where he was born. He lived at Laura Villa, and attended Smeaton State School. His father William was a gold miner and his mother's name was Sarah. Their family won many singing and instrumental awards. Frank was tutored by Percy Code and was awarded a gold medal for the highest marks in the ALCM examinations in the British Colonies at the age of seventeen years. He became the Australian Open Cornet Champion by the age of eighteen. A year later, Frank conducted the City of Ballarat Band, and later the Ballarat Soldiers’ Memorial Band. He formed the Frank Wright Frisco Band and Frank Wright and his Coliseum Orchestra. These bands won many South Street awards, and Frank as conductor won many awards in the Australian Band Championship contest. In 1933 Frank Wright sailed to England to conduct the famous St Hilda’s Band and was later appointed Musical Director of the London County Council, where he organized many amazing concerts in parks, in and around the London district. He was made Professor of Brass and Military Band Scoring and conducted at the Guildhall of Music and Drama. Frank was often invited to adjudicate Brass Band Championships around Europe, in Australia, including South Street and in New Zealand. The Frank Wright Medal at the Royal South Street competition is awarded to an individual recognized as making an outstanding contribution to brass music in Australia.

Inscriptions & Markings

Handwritten on back - St Hilda's - F.W. Conductor, Roy Stewart Dancers, (Scotland), Morecambe Lanes, July 1934

Book - The Five Orders of Architecture: according to Vignola.

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A blue cloth hard cover book. Title and author's name is engraved in gilt on front cover and spine. Illustrations in b/w. It includes 26 p. of text and 66 b/w plates, notes on the plates and a glossary of French and English terms. The book also includes studies of shadow projection and the orders and thier application.

Historical information

Giacomo Barozzi was born at Vignola. He was called Vignola after the name of the town where he was born. Giacomo was an Italian architect of 16th century. He was among those Italian architects who spread the Italian Renaissance style throughout Western Europe. His two masterpieces are the Villa Farnese at Caprarola and the Jesuits' Church of the Gesù in Rome.

Inscriptions & Markings

A bookplate inside front cover titled 'Ballarat School of Art Library No. AD/13. A library due date card with patron's name "Vignola, G.B da" date: 24/4/1968.

Photograph (black & white) - Dana Street Primary School No. 33 (Ballarat)

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Historical information

Dana Street Primary School still educates children in Ballarat. The old bluestone section of the school has been used as an early campus of the Ballarat Junior Technical School, as well as a campus of the Ballarat Teachers' College. In 1856 a printed notice was distributed around Ballarat announcing that Mr and Mrs C. Marin were opening a school in Doveton Street on 12 January 1857. The National School, supported by the Church of Christ, opened with 80 pupils, and attendance was between 9am and 12 noon, and 1pm and 3pm. On 12 March 1859 James Oddie, Peter Lalor, Dr James Stewart, Robert Lewis, J.B. Gray and C.J. Jenner were elected to the Dana Street Primary School Committee.

Correspondence - Letter on Australian War Memorial Letterhead, 1937

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

.1) Foolscap typed letter outlining the Coronation portrait of King George by W.B. McInnes, and requesting the Ballarat School of Mines to purchase a framed copy. The letter is signed by the Director of the Australian War Memorial, J.L. treloar .2) blank order form re ordering a Coronation portrait of King George by W.B. McInnes,

Correspondence - Correspondence on Adam Lindsay Gordon Cottage Fund Letterhead, 1951

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Two letters on Adam Lindsay Gordon Cottage Fund Letterhead and a marketing brochure featuring the image of Adam Lindsay Gordon and his Cottage. Gift of the Keith Rash Estate, 1985

Map - Lancefield

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Printed coloured map on paper

Book - Thrilling Book for Boys, c1938

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Hard covered book featuring a sailing ship on the cover

Historical information

Presented to David Holmes as a prize for being Dux of Ascot State School.

Inscriptions & Markings

In ink on inside front page: "Presented to DAVID HOLMES who shared DUX of S.S. 2507 Ascot 1938 N.E. Hawke H.T."

Photographs - black and white - Presentation to Daniel Walker of the Ballarat School of Mines, c1899

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Historical information

Daniel Walker taught Chemistry at the Ballarat School of Mines.

Inscriptions & Markings

Presented to D. Walker B.Sc, F.C.S., A.k.C.L. Lond. Demonstrator Lecturer Chemistry Ballarat School of Mines As a Token of Respect By the students of the Chemical Laboratory

Book - Cloud Pool Fire Veil Shield

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Black, hard-covered artist's book produced in a limited edition of 22 (of which this one is number number 6). The images contained in the book were first created in pastel then scanned and computer manipulated before being Laser copied and Intron transferred onto Indian Khadi Hot Press Natural Off-white 210 gsm paper, in an edition of 22.

Historical information

Born in Scotland, Allan Mann studied at the Glasgow School of Art, and worked in many tertiary institutions in Great Britain and Australia. Allan Mann arrived in Australia in 1987, lecturing at the Darling Downs Institute of Advanced Education, Queensland, then the Riverina-Murray Institute of Higher Education Wagga Wagga, NSW, in 1981. He returned to the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee, Scotland between 1984 and 1985. Allan Mann was appointed to the University of Ballarat (then Ballarat College of Advanced Education) in 1987. He retired as an Associate Professor of the University of Ballarat Arts Academy in 2010.

Inscriptions & Markings

Signed an numbered by the artist on the ISBN page.

Document - Article - Edwards' Pyrites Works, Ballarat IN Australian Mining & Metallurgy, 1904

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

An online article downloaded. From the book 'Australian Mining & Metallurgy" by Donald Clark, special commissioner to the Australian Mining Standard. It includes images of the Ballarat works. It also includes an article on the Kalgurli Gold Mines, Limited

Plan - Chiltern Valley Gold Mines Co Ltd, Poppet Head drawings

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

Ink on paper drawings of Poppet Head

Certificate - United Grand Lodge of Victoria Certificate made out to Frank Wright, 1923

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

White certificate with printed and had written information. including three columns and a crest depicting the kangaroo and emu. The certificate is made out to Frank Joseph Henry Wright who was reguklalry received into the yarrowee Lodge no 10 Ballarat on 21 November 1922, and was admitted into the third degree on 24 July 1923 in the Skipton Lodge no 229.

Document - Ballarat Junior Technical School Old Boys' Association, 1957

Federation University Australia Historical Collection (Geoffrey Blainey Research Centre), Mount Helen

A printed invitation to the 1957 reunion of the Ballarat Junior Technical School Old Boys' Association.

Historical information

The Old Boys' Association was inaugurated in 1923. Its objects were to foster continued interest in the old school, and scholars, and to provide amenities, scholarships and other forms of assistance wherever possible. In 1957 the most recent project was the 30 acre Nerrina pine plantation.