Historical information

The original postcards in this series (2013.002 to 2013.018) were generously loaned to Williamstown Botanic Gardens by a private collector for copying.
The fountain is located on the southern side of the ornamental lake and was erected to celebrate the jubilee of the municipality (17 March 1906). Controversy surrounded the commission for the design and construction of the fountain, as it was originally assigned to a contractor in Carlton. Williamstown residents insisted the fountain be designed and constructed locally, and on December 1906 the fountain was tendered by local firm Bliss and Sons and opened for public use in 1906. The fountain features a symmetrical plan, consisting of fur granite columns supporting a granite canopy and is fully operational following restoration work in 2013.
The idea for the fountain came from an elderly resident of Williamstown who suggested the council follow the example of Ballarat’s gardens with its many statues and monuments.


The postcards are evidence of the interest the gardens held as a subject for postcard publishers. The text and images provide a snapshot into fashions, social interests and concerns of the time. The professionally produced images provide a pictorial history of Gardens including changing planting styles, various structures and features of the Gardens eg the aviary, cannons, the fountain, the second Curator’s Lodge and gates. The images offer an opportunity to compare garden vistas with the present day.
The significance of the fountain is its reflection of how Williamstown people felt for their Gardens and the importance placed on investing in locally operated business. It was noted in the Brief Jottings column of the Williamstown Chronicle, February 24 1906, the fountain is a “We favor the erection of the jubilee fountain in the Giffard-street (Williamstown Botanic) Gardens. Ornaments of that kind there will make that beauty spot even more attractive.”

Physical description

Sepia scene of a fountain situated on paths bordered with rocks. The fountain in on a plinth and the postcard shows the plaque and two of the four drinking stations. The fountain features a symmetrical plan, consisting of four granite columns supporting a granite canopy.

Inscriptions & markings

Reverse: vertical on left side of card and underlined: ‘Published by the Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd. / Queen St, Melb’. Top centre of card: Contains logo of ‘VALENTINES / REAL PHOTO SERIES’. The postcard is addressed to ‘Dear Agnes’ from ‘Una’. Marked in pencil on to right hand corner ‘1920 / $8’ believed to be put on the postcard by the vendor.