The original postcards in this series (2013.002 to 2013.018) were generously loaned to Williamstown Botanic Gardens by a private collector for copying.
The cast iron gates (manufactured in Glasgow) introduced at the North West entrance in 1907. The gates were purchased from ‘Fairlie” corner of Acland and Anderson Streets, South Yarra at the cost of 72 pounds and cost 60 pounds to install. They had originally cost the owners of ‘Fairlie’ 1200 pounds.
The postcards are evidence of the interest the gardens held as a subject for postcard publishers. The text and images provide a snapshot into fashions, social interests and concerns of the time. The professionally produced images provide a pictorial history of Gardens including changing planting styles, various structures and features of the Gardens eg the aviary, cannons, the fountain, the second Curator’s Lodge and gates. The images offer an opportunity to compare garden vistas with the present day.
The image in this postcard shows the gates intact and as installed in 1907. The current layout of this area still reflects the change of design, which followed the 1907 removal of the first gardener's residence and the subsequent re-organisation of this quarter of the gardens.
This postcard is evidence of the placement of one of the cannons relocated from Fort Gellibrand in 1906. They were removed from the Gardens in the 1960s. These same cannons remain a feature on the Williamstown waterfront in 2013.
Postcard in colour of main entrance gates, one of the cannons can be seen through the pedestrian gate on the right. The gates are cast iron, double carriage gates with single pedestrian gates on either side and supported by four cast iron posts with ornamental finials.
Inscriptions & markings
Front: ‘Gates, Williamstown Gardens’. Reverse: Vertical on left side of card ‘O Rippon Se..es’ [name of the publisher is unclear]. Top centre of card: ‘POST [logo of card publisher] CARD’. Left side of card: ‘This space may be used for communication.’ Right side of card: ‘for Address only.’ Left bottom corner: ‘Printed in ……..’ [name unclear]. Top right hand corner: a red one penny Tasmanian stamp with a depiction of Mount Wellington. Bottom right corner in pencil ‘1908’ believed to be inserted by the vendor. The card is dated 15.5.10 by the sender. It is addressed to Miss E G Holford of Launceston, Tasmania and sent by Addie.