The original postcards in this series (2013.002 to 2013.018) were generously loaned to Williamstown Botanic Gardens by a private collector for copying.
The Curator’s lodge, designed by the Town Surveyor, HV Champion, was constructed in 1907 following the re-organisation of the north-east corner with the demolition of the old curator's cottage and erection of new gates. Both the lodge and lake (1904) were built during the curatorship of Mr Thake.
The logo in the middle of the words ‘POST CARD’ indicates the card was printed by M. Schulz in Prague. Schulz was a long-established company from Prague and printed postcards for customers from worldwide. Schulz printed in photo-chromolithography.
The postcards are evidence of the interest the gardens held as a subject for postcard publishers. The text and images provide a snapshot into fashions, social interests and concerns of the time. The professionally produced images provide a pictorial history of Gardens including changing planting styles, various structures and features of the Gardens eg the aviary, cannons, the fountain, the second Curator’s Lodge and gates. The images offer an opportunity to compare garden vistas with the present day.
A colour image of the ornamental lake and part of the Curator’s Lodge. The lodge has a green roof, tall brick chimney, is brown timber with brick where the fireplace would be. The small island with a succulent is in the centre of the image. The image looks across the top of the lake where the rock edging can be seen. Reflections of the plantings and lodge can be seen.
Inscriptions & markings
Front: ‘Williamstown Gardens’. Reverse: Reverse: Centre top ‘POST CARD’ with a logo [MS] in the middle of the words; left side vertical ‘O. Rippon Series’; left side ‘This space may be used for communication.’; right side ‘For Address only.’; left side bottom ‘Printed in Germany’. In pencil top right corner ‘1907 / $7’ (believed to be inserted by the vendor.