The cast iron gates (manufactured in Glasgow) introduced at the North West entrance in 1907. The gates were purchased from ‘Fairlie” corner of Acland and Anderson Streets, South Yarra at the cost of 72 pounds and cost 60 pounds to install. They had originally cost the owners of ‘Fairlie’ 1200 pounds.
Lee Heap Furniture Warehouse of Williamstown used the postcards to advertise.
The postcards are evidence of the interest the gardens held as a subject for postcard publishers. The text and images provide a snapshot into fashions, social interests and concerns of the time. The professionally produced images provide a pictorial history of Gardens including changing planting styles, various structures and features of the Gardens eg the aviary, cannons, the fountain, the second Curator’s Lodge and gates. The images offer an opportunity to compare garden vistas with the present day.
The image in this postcard shows the gates intact and as installed in 1907. The current layout of this area still reflects the change of design, which followed the 1907 removal of the first gardener's residence and the subsequent re-organisation of this quarter of the gardens.
This postcard is evidence of the placement of one of the cannons relocated from Fort Gellibrand in 1906. They were removed from the Gardens in the 1960s. These same cannons remain a feature on the Williamstown waterfront in 2013.
Black and white image of main entrance gates which are open. Through the gates can be seen a man in waistcoat standing in front of a cannon. The gates are cast iron, double carriage gates with single pedestrian gates on either side and supported by four cast iron posts with ornamental finials.
Inscriptions & markings
Front: ‘The Entrance Gates, Williamstown Gardens. Vic.’ ‘0457/2’ ‘THE CROWN STUDIOS, SYDNEY’. Reverse: Centre top ‘POST CARD’ with a logo in the middle of the words. Left top corner a drawing of an artist’s board and brushes with a camera in the centre. Left side ‘MESSAGE ONLY.’ Right side ‘ADDRESS ONLY.’ Top right corner inside a dotted rectangle ‘STAMP HERE’. Bottom on card ‘BY THE CROWN STUDIOS, SYNDEY.’ Under the vertical line down the middle line ‘Neither the Address not the Message must cross this line’. In ink ‘With Compliments / from’. An oval stamp with scalloped rim ‘LEE HEAP FURNITURE MANUFACTURER’ inside inner oval ‘FURNITURE WAREHOUSE, / WILLIAMSTOWN’.