Book - Gidget
From the Collection of Australian National Surfing Museum 77 Beach Road Surf City Plaza Surfcoast Highway Torquay Victoria
- Soft cover book, aqua wash artwork featuring colour photograph of Kathy Kohnner Zuckerman (aka the real Gidget) wearing an orange one piece swimsuit holding a malibu surfboard on cover.
- H20.5cm x W13cm, 160 pages
- gidget, kathy kohner zuckerman, frederick kohner, moondoggie, the big kahuna, malibu beach, surfing, sandra dee
- GIDGET was written by Frederick Kohner the father of the real Gidget, Kathy Kohner Zuckerman. The book is based on Kathy's experiences as a 15 year old girl at Malibu Beach, Southern California during the summer of 1957 discovering Moondoggie, the Big Kahuna and surfing. The book was made into a highly succesful feature film of the same name, released in 1959 with Sandra Dee playing the star role of Gidget.
- June 2001
- Frederick Kohner (Author), Berkley Books (Publisher)
- GIDGET is socially and culturally significant because it was one of the first mainstream books to explore the surfing sub-culture of Southern California. The book was made into a feature film which played a significant role in popularising the surfing sub-culture around the world.
- Main title GIDGET on cover. One line testimonials at the top of the book cover. Publishers logo on spine. Barcode on back of book. Inside cover personally signed by Kathy Kohner Zuckerman.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:10AM