Williamstown was first incorporated as a borough on 14 March 1856. It became a town on 2 April 1886, subdivided into four wards in 28 October 1887 and was proclaimed a city on 17 May 1919. The city was proclaimed by His Excellency the State Governor, the Hon. Sir Arthur Stanley on 17 May 1919. At the same time he unveiled a photographic honour board in memory of local soldiers killed during World War One and officially opened the Town Hall/Council Chambers building at 104 Ferguson Street. The Governor was presented with this proclamation and asked to sign the parchment. The official birth of the city was celebrated by 2000 residents.
Commemorates the movement of Williamstown to the status of a city and also marks the occasion of the opening of the new municipal buildings, Council Chamber and unveiling of a collective photo of local soldiers who had died during WW1.
Bound Proclamation of City of Williamstown signed by Governor of State Victoria. 3rd April 1919, black tooled leather with gilt embossing, two fold with ribbon from date of visit - 17th May 1919
Inscriptions & markings
Arnall & Jackson, Melb
Proclamation City of Williamstown