Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Hat - Green Woollen Felt & Black Ribbon / by Anne Harrison of Kew, 1955-65

From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

Description
Pale green and black felt woman’s hat retailed by Anne Harrison of Kew. The pale green crown is bordered by a black turned up rim. An additional adornmant to the hat is an abstract bow at the front made of black felt.
Object Registration
2016.0238
Keywords
anne harrison, women's clothing, costume accesories - hats, fashion and textiles collection - kew historical society, cloche hats, milliners - kew (vic)
Historical information
Marion “Annie” (Cooper) Harrison, a milliner by trade, designed and made women’s hats, initially in the 1940s in High Street, and later in the 1950s and 60s at 5 Princess Street. The hats were constructed upstairs in her shop in Princes Street while the ground floor was reserved for sales and display. She employed other milliners to assist but always ran the showroom herself. Hectic periods were in the weeks before the big racing carnivals when the many wealthy race-goers of Kew kept her busy. She typically walked to her business as she and her husband, Fred Harrison, lived locally. Annie died in April 2016, at the great age of 107 years. Her hats are held in local and national collections.
When Made
19
Made By
Anne Harrison of Kew (Maker)
Inscriptions & Markings
Label: Anne Harrison of Kew. WM 9906.
Last updated
22 Sep 2019 at 9:53AM