Framed oil on canvas by W. Nichols Anderson of Park Street, Kew (now Adeney Avenue) looking uphill in a southerly direction towards Cotham Road. The painting is dated to 1906. The two storey house at left was known as 'Eborensis'. The house is still extant on the corner of Adeney Avenue and Parkhill Road.
William Nicholls Anderson (1873-1927) was an Australian painter, one of whose works from the 1906 series River + Rail is in the Kew Historical Society’s art collection (donated 1984). A separate archive file contains correspondence, biographical information (written by his niece), and locations in Kew where he lived. Much of the correspondence between the Society and the City of Kew relates to the painting and its location in the Mayor’s Room at the Kew Civic Offices, Charles Street, where it was on loan from the Society. Lucy M (Jean) Hornby, the artist’s niece and the donor of the painting was a resident of 5 and 20 Queens Street, Kew (Vic).
W. Nichols Anderson (1873-1927) studied at the National Gallery of Victoria School with Frederick McCubbin in 1894-96. He was Secretary of the Victorian Artists Society (1915-19) and exhibited there between 1901-27. He painted in the manner of the artists of the Heidelberg School. A number of later hands have tried to identify the subject and exhibition provenance of the painting. The most recent notes attached to the rear of the frame suggest that the painting's exhibition title at the Australian Art Exhibition of 1911 at the Guidlhall, Swanston Street was "Adeney's Paddock, Kew"; or "Adeney Avenue, 1913" at the 13th Annual Victorian Artists Society Exhibition. Earlier labels confuse the issue. A very faded and damaged label on the back in Anderson’s own hand identifies the location as “Park Hill Road, Kew”. The label also includes the words “Rail + River”, which may be a series name.