In 2000, three silver trophy spoons were donated to the Kew Historical Society by the National Trust (Victoria). At the time, the trophies were believed to have been awarded to J.S. Penrose for victories in events held by the Boroondara R.C. [Rifle Club] in 1905 and 1906. The Boroondara Rifle Club was a separate entity to the Kew and Hawthorn Rifle Clubs. The first reference to the Club on Trove is on 11 April 1900, when the Club was established and the committee elected. It is recorded that: “the adjourned meeting in connection with the Boroondara Rifle Club was held in the shire hall on Monday evening; Mr. A. J. Smith, J.P., in the chair. It was decided that the name of the club should be the Boroondara Rifle Club, and that it should embrace the whole shire, with butts at some convenient and accessible spot. A number of additional members were sworn in, making the total enrolled to date about 70. The following gentlemen were elected as office bearers: — President, Sir Frederick Sargood. M.L.C.: vice-presidents, Messrs. Wm. Knox, M.L.C.; F. Madden, M.L.A., and A. J. Smith (president of the shire); hon. captain, Mr. John Mc Whae (chairman of the Stock Exchange) ; committee. Messrs. T. W. Gaggin, J. B. Gilfillan, Cr. Lewis. Cr. Rooks and Cr. Beckett; hon. treasurer. Mr. G. A. Darling; hon. secretary, Mr. A. J. .Macarthur”.The last recorded meeting of the Rifle Club was in 1916, at “Adam’s Hall, upper Hawthorn” when a new committee was elected.
Silver trophy spoon awarded to J.S. Penrose by the Boroondara Rifle Club for a victory in the Spoon Competition.
Inscriptions & markings
Boroondara R.C. / Spoon Competition / 800, 900 yds /won by J.S. Penrose. Score 70 / 21-10-05