Medal issued to commemorate the 50th jubilee of the Town of Kew. It names J.F. McCrea as Mayor. John Falding McCrea was Mayor of Kew 1910-11. Kew was proclaimed a municipality on 22 December 1860, seceding from the Boroondara Road Board District, then comprising Kew, Hawthorn and Camberwell. It was proclaimed a town on 8 December 1910, the year this medal was issued, and a city on 10 March 1921. On 22 June 1994 Kew city was united with Camberwell and Hawthorn cities to form Boroondara city.
Mint gilt medal with original ribbon.
Kew Jubilee medal in the shape of a Maltese cross. Gilded bronze with attached original red, white and blue cloth ribbon. On the front is the Coat of Arms of the Town of Kew and an inscription: ‘Town of Kew. To Commemorate Its Jubilee 1910’. On the reverse is inscribed 'Kew Jubilee 1860-1910. Cr J.F. McCrae J.P. Mayor'. The medal was also issued in bronze.
Inscriptions & markings
Shield of six wheat-sheafs above motto CRESCO on ribbon; above shield is the Royal coat of arms with lion and unicorn supporters and, on ribbon DIEU ET MIN DROIT; on arms of cross top, TOWN / OF, bottom, KEW, left TO COMMEM / -ORATE, right, ITS JUBILEE / 1910
Within line circle set at centre of cross shaped flan, CR. J.F. McCREA / J.P. / MAYOR on arms of cross, top, KEW bottom, JUBILEE, left 1860, right, 1910