Historical information

Sir John Madden, Chief Justice of Victoria, opened the Auburn Heights Recreation Club in Barkers Road in December 1904. Two years later the greens were improved and a new croquet lawn established. In September 1906, a ceremony was held to open these and also the new pavilion designed by Harry Tompkins. Ninety-two years later, following the amalgamation of Auburn Heights and the Kew Bowling Club in 1998, it was renamed the Kew Heights Sports Club. In 2012, the amalgamated Club was renamed the MCC Sports Club.


An early, rare photograph of a significant sporting institution in Kew.

Physical description

1/4 plate glass negative (and accompanying photographic print) of bowling at Auburn Heights Recreation Club opening in 1906. The Club was/is located in Barkers Road, Kew. At play on the redeveloped greens of the Auburn Heights Recreation Club at the official opening of the new pavilion in September 1906.