This work forms part of the collection assembled by the historian Dorothy Rogers, that was donated to the Kew Historical Society by her son John Rogers in 2015. The manuscripts, photographs, maps, and documents were sourced by her from both family and local collections or produced as references for her print publications. Many were directly used by Rogers in writing ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1961) and 'A History of Kew' (1973), or the numerous articles on local history that she produced for suburban newspapers. Most of the photographs in the collection include detailed annotations in her hand.
The Rogers Collection provides a comprehensive insight into the working habits of a historian in the 1960s and 1970s. Together it forms the largest privately-donated collection within the archives of the Kew Historical Society.
A reproduction of a photograph of the Fairfield Bridge. The bridge was one of the first constructed for the Outer Circle Railway in 1891. Its supervising engineer was [Sir] John Monash. The bridge was later to be repurposed as a road linking the Chandler Highway to Fairfield.
Inscriptions & markings
"Outer Circle Railway Bridge over River Yarra at Fairfield (last section of line opened 1891)"