Button - Heart of Gold: Homeopathic Hospital Appeal
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
- ‘Heart of Gold’ buttons were produced for the Homeopathic (Prince Henry’s) Hospital’s Button Day Appeal in 1921. Contemporary newspaper accounts noted that the slogan was of American origin. A variety of buttons were produced costing from 1/ to £1. In the campaign, button selling in Kew raised £77.
- homeopathic hospital
- The badges form part of a collection of ephemera originally purchased by Francis Horace Rigg (19/10/1882-05/03/1946) of 50 Belford Road, Kew (Vic.). Frances Rigg was a local business identity in Kew, ultimately managing the local branch of the English, Scottish and Australian (ES&A) Bank at 175 High Street, Kew from c. 1920 until the 1940s.
After Francis Rigg’s death, the collection of buttons and badges was inherited by his son, Ken Rigg (14/11/1922-19/01/2014). The collection was subsequently donated to the Kew Historical Society in 2015 by his grandson Adrian Rigg during the Gallipoli and Beyond Commemoration.
The collection covers a period of almost 40 years. The majority of the badges are patriotic buttons, issued and sold during and immediately after World War 1 to raise funds for national and overseas causes. The collection also includes a number of locally significant sporting event buttons and sporting club medallions, issued in the 1920s and 1930s.
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM