Historical information

Frances Rigg was a local business identity in Kew, ultimately managing the local branch of the English, Scottish and Australian (ES&A) Bank at 175 High Street, Kew from c. 1920 until the 1940s. After Francis Rigg’s death, the collection of buttons and medallions was inherited by his son, Ken Rigg (14/11/1922-19/01/2014). The collection was subsequently donated to the Kew Historical Society in 2015 by his grandson Adrian Rigg at the time of the Gallipoli & Beyond Commemoration.The collection covers a period of almost 40 years. The majority of the buttons are patriotic buttons, issued and sold during and immediately after the First World World War (1914-1918) to raise funds for national and overseas causes. The collection also includes a number of locally significant sporting event buttons and sporting club medallions, issued in the 1920s and 1930s.

Physical description

Blue enamel on metal membership medallion produced by the Kew Cricket Club for the year 1923-24 and which belonged to Francis Horace Rigg (1882-1946). The medallion in shield shape is enameled in shades of blue with the initials of the Club, KCC surrounded by the full name of the club and the period for which the member would gain access to games.

Inscriptions & markings

Kew Cricket Club KCC 1923-1924