Historical information

A large device for drying laundry consisting of two rollers between which the wet laundry is squeezed (or wrung); a mangle. American English uses the term 'Wringer' whereas UK English uses the term 'mangle'. Later devices were typically electrified.

Physical description

Large mechanical hand cranked household laundry mangle with hardwood rolls and metal fittings. Information about the equipment is stamped/incised on both the metal and wooden frame.

Inscriptions & markings

Household Clothes Mangle /American Wringer No 120 / Inc Metal Bearings / / Hardwood Rolls