Historical information

The Port Phillip Farmers Society was instituted in 1848. It was reported by the Ballarat Agricultural Society in 1859 that flax was grown in the Ballarat district. Flax was sown at Brown Hill on 04 October 1858, the seed saved, and the flax beetled on 28 February 1859. The exhibitor was T. MCKenna who was the first flax produced in the colony.

Inscriptions & markings

'Sample of Flax Plant First Prize Awarded to Mr T. McKenna 1857"