From the Collection of Vision Australia 454 Glenferrie Road Kooyong Victoria
- 1 b/w photograph
- tilly aston, braille and talking book library
- In 1894 the Victorian Braille Writers Association was established in order to create a braille lending library. Such an endeavor also meant a need of space for storage. At first the library was accommodated in the home of Mrs May Harrison before moving to the home of Mrs Dickinson two years later. Eventually, with the help of donors, a space was rented in the Block Arcade to house the 1300+ volumes it held and the yearly increase produced by its braille transcribers. Fortunately in 1918 the Trustees of the Edward Wilson Estate provided 4000 pounds to pay for a new building in Commercial Road. Despite some misgivings from the RVIB at the time, this building was home to both braille volumes and talking books (albums and cassettes) for many years.
- Free Lending Library for the Blind. Senator G. Fairbairn, on behalf of the Edward Wilson Trust, presenting the key of the building to Miss Aston, a Braille reader, representing the Braille Writer’s Association. 26th April 1919. (Label on mount board)
- 3 Mar 2017 at 10:12AM