Apart from the photograph being of local interest to the history of Kew, it is also of interest as it was donated to the Kew City Council by Mr. C. R. du Rieu. Mr du Rieu was closely associated with the Kodak factory which purchased land in East Kew for a factory the plans for which were ultimately rejected by Council. In 1936, nine years after he donated the photograph to Council. Mr du Rieu died. A report in the Melbourne Age on 7 October 1936, p. 14 stated that:
"Mr. Charles Richard du Rieu, of "Wonder View." 57 Pakington-street, Kew, formerly manager of the mount department of Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd., died at his home on Tuesday morning at the age of 72 years. Born at Adelaide, Mr. du Rieu was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. H. L. du Rieu. He is survived by his widow. For 43 years he had been associated with the late Mr. Thomas Baker, at the Kodak works. He retired from the firm in 1928. Among his charitable interests were the orthopoedic section of the Children's Hospital at Frankston, Eye and Ear Hospital, and the Fitzroy Ladies Work Association. He was president of the North Kew Progress Association, and a member of the Kew Bowling Club. In masonic circles he was a past master of the Kent Lodge, Melbourne, and a member of the Travellers' Washington Lodge. The burial will take place at the Boroondara Cemetery Kew, this afternoon. Arrangements are by Le Pine and Son Ltd."
The photograph is of historic and social significance for what it tells of popular civic values in the interwar period in Melbourne and Australia which manifested itself on occasions such as Royal Visits.
An unframed, mounted sepia photograph of the Kew "Strong Post" on St Kilda Road on the occasion of the Royal Visit of 1927.
Inscriptions & markings
Caption: "The Kew "Strong Post" St Kilda Rd., / on the occasion of the visit of / Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of York / presented by C.R. Du Rieu Esq / May 1927