Historical information

The Kew Recreation Hall was opened in 1880. For eighty years it was a major venue for concerts, performances, dances and civic events. It was demolished in 1960.


This is an historically and culturally significant municipal photograph from Kew dating from 1906. The photograph has architectural significance as it is the only known, authenticated photograph of the interior of the Recreation Hall in Wellington Street before it was renovated. The Recreation Hall was of statewide significance as a centre of social activity in Kew from 1880-1960.

Physical description

The Mayor (Cr T.G. Jellis) and the Mayoress in the audience at a mayoral concert in the Kew Recreation Hall in Wellington Street.

Inscriptions & markings

[Inscription on mount] "Mayoral Concert, Recreation Hall, Kew, 31st July 1906. Cr. T. G. Jellis Mayor."
[Plaque] "Presented by Mayor T.G. Jellis, Mayor 1905-6"