While the first successful land sales in Boroondara occurred in Hawthorn in 1843, and Kew in 1845, these areas were to be without local pounds until April 1858, when the Governor of Victoria, in accordance with Act 18 Victoria No 30, was pleased to direct the establishment of a Pound at Glass’s Creek on that part of land bounded by the Kilby Road, Burke Road and High Street. While the Governor was required to proclaim the establishment of a pound, the appointment of a poundkeeper was the responsibility of the Justices of the Peace in the local Court of Petty Sessions. The Pound took its name from the most distinctive natural feature of the area, Glass’s Creek, named after the early pastoralist Thomas Glass.
The register is of historic significance as an indicator of suburban life in the second half of the 19th Century. It shows how farming and city life on the urban fringe were intimately connected. It is also significant to the early history of Hawthorn and Kew, who both claimed the Pound following their separation from the Boroondara Roads Board in 1861.