Dandenong/Cranbourne RSL Sub Branch, Dandenong
Small letter opener consisting of a handle made from a .303 bullet and a blade made from an unknown metal. The projectile has been split in half lengthways and the blade soldered in. The markings on the cartridge indicate that it is a Mk VII cartridge manufactured by the Royal Laboratory in 1917.
Made by Albert Henry Rogers who served in the British Army during WW1, the grandfather of the donor.
It was made as a symbol of hope as receiving letters from home gave them hope. Hence the bullet made into a letter opener is a symbol of something made to kill into something to give hope. (Transcribed from the donor's description)
Inscriptions & Markings
Both sides of the blade have decorative engraving on them. The left side has "ARRAS" engraved on it and the right side has "1918 YPRES" engraved on it. The base of the cartridge is marked R^L 17 and VII.