Framed Photograph - Private Cyril Buckler
From the Collection of Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch 1 Victoria Parade Wangaratta Victoria
- Wooden frame with gold insert, wooden mount. Coloured paper Union Jack on top left of mounting, Red Ensign on top right of mounting. Inscriptions in white paint. Glass front. Back has wire hangings. Has paper backing has stitching on three sides, some paper backing is ripped.
- 45cm wide, 59cm high, 4.5cm deep
- world war 1, france, pozieres, north wangaratta state school, cyril buckler
- Studio portrait of 5347 Private Cyril Buckler, 14th Battalion, presented in his memory as a past student, by his parents to North Wangaratta State School. Cyril was a postman from Wangaratta Victoria, prior to enlistment on 16 February 1916. He embarked from Melbourne aboard HMAT Euripides on 4 April 1916 for Egypt. His unit relocated to the Western Front, France, in June 1916. Private Buckler was killed in action near Pozieres, France, on 7 August 1916. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial. This image of Cyril Buckler in uniform with the rank of Sergeant was probably taken while he was serving in the Senior Cadets or Citizen Forces prior to enlistment in the AIF
- Courtney's Thelma Studio (Maker)
- Framed photograph presented to North Wangaratta State School in memory of a past student killed in action at Pozieres, France on 7 Aug 1916 during the First World War. North Wangaratta State School 2391 opened in May 1881 and closed on October 26 1969. Today a plaque commemorates the old site in Eldorado Road North Wangaratta.
- For King and Country. Presented to North Wangaratta State School No 2391 by Mr & Mrs W. Buckler in memory of their son Sgt Cyril Buckler who was killed in action at Pozieres France 7 Aug 1916
- 2 Mar 2020 at 4:08PM