Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Framed buttons and badges

From the Collection of Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch 1 Victoria Parade Wangaratta Victoria

Description
carved gold coloured metal frame with green mount containing 3 silver and 2 green badges 8 large and 7 small gold coloured buttons on tartan cloth background.
Size
41cmW x 35cm H
Object Registration
261
Keywords
37th/52nd australian infantry battalion, cameron highlanders
Historical information
After the First World War the defence of the Australian mainland lay with the part-time soldiers of the Citizens Military Force (CMF), also known as the Militia. The Militia was organized to maintain the structure of the First AIF and kept the same numerical designations. The Militia units were distributed in the same areas the original AIF units were raised. Consequently, Militia units were also known by the name of their shire. Thus, the Victorian 37th Infantry Battalion was the "Hunt Regiment", while the 52nd Infantry Battalion was the "Gippsland Regiment". Both were raised in 1921 and linked in 1930, forming the 37th/52nd Infantry Battalion. In 1937 the battalion was separated but merged again in August 1942, after Japan's entry into the Second World War and the subsequent reorganisation of the Australian Army.
Inscriptions & Markings
37th-52rd Australian Infantry Battalion
Affilitated with The Queens "Own" Cameron Highlanders
Last updated
22 Nov 2018 at 2:16PM