Reproduced black and white photograph of four Army Officers having a brew under roof of thatched hut and in front of banner of The Salvation Army/Australian Comfort Fund
TARAKAN, BORNEO, 1945-05-08. GENERAL SIR THOMAS A. BLAMEY, COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF, ALLIED LAND FORCES, SOUTH WEST PACIFIC AREA, (4), DRINKING COFFEE WITH SENIOR OFFICERS OUTSIDE THE SALVATION ARMY RED SHIELD HUT DURING HIS INSPECTION TOUR OF THE 2/23 INFANTRY BATTALION. IDENTIFIED PERSONNEL ARE:- BRIGADIER D.A. WHITEHEAD, COMMAND 26 INFANTRY BRIGADE, (1); LIEUTENANT COLONEL F.A.G. TUCKER, (2); LIEUTENANT COLONEL DWYER, (3); LIEUTENANT GENERAL F.H. BERRYMAN, GENERAL OFFICER COMMANDING 1 CORPS (5).
Brigadier David Adie Whitehead had a distinguished and decorated career in both First and Second World Wars. He joined the Citizen Military Forces when it was raised in 1947 and commanded the 2nd Armoured Brigade (4th/19th Prince of Wales’s Light Horse and 8th/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles Regiments) till 1953
The 2/24th Battalion was an infantry battalion of the Australian Army, which served during World War II .A unit of all-volunteers, it was formed in July 1940 from primarily Victorian volunteers and was known as "Wangaratta's Own" because of the time the battalion spent in the town during its formative period prior to deployment overseas. It served in North Africa in 1941–1942 as part of the 26th Brigade, which was assigned to the 7th Division, before being reassigned to the 9th Division. In early 1943, the battalion returned to Australia and later took part in campaigns against the Japanese in New Guinea in 1943–1944 and Borneo in 1945, before being disbanded in 1946. The 2/24th suffered the highest number of casualties of any 2nd AIF infantry battalion. The Unit was granted the Freedom of the City by the Rural City of Wangaratta in 1990 and one of the first, if not the first, to receive this type of honour
Inscriptions & Markings
Handwritten on note attached to rear -Whitehead on L Blamey on R - Qld tablelands (?)