An original photograph donated to the Kew Historical Society by the City's Engineering Department following the amalgamation of Kew into the City of Boroondara. While not all of the photographs are of Studley Park, Kew or East Kew, each photo provides a fine snapshot of the work of local government engineering departments of the period. They reveal they types of labour conducted, the techniques used and the equipment and machinery in the possession of the local government authority.
Historic and rare photograph of major public works in Kew in the 1930s.
Public works. Men at work in the creek bed of Connor's Creek in Kew, while constructing the underground drain. Connor's Creek was one of the two main tributaries of the Yarra River in Kew. It originated somewhere near the grounds of Genazzano FCJ College. The barrel drain was finally completed in 1941 at a cost of £14,000.
Inscriptions & markings
Inscription on reverse: "City of Kew / Cecil st drain / November 1936".