Photograph - Congregational Church, Walpole Street, 1977
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc 1 Civic Drive Kew Victoria
- Congregational Church, Walpole Street, Kew, 1977 (now demolished). View of the polychrome facade facing Walpole Street. The use of polychrome brick by Alfred Purchas (the second architect) reflects his preference for this architectural style, such as in his design for Tarring (now Ruyton Girls' School)
- congregational church, walpole street (kew), charles vickers
- The Congregational Church was built on the site of the first church in Kew. This church, the second on the site, was designed by the Kew architect Charles Vickers and opened in 1860. The distinctive polychrome brick façade designed by Vickers contrasted with the style that he employed for other churches he designed during this period; they were usually constructed in bluestone. In the 1960s, a new ministry saw the erection of a neon cross at the apex of the church. The illuminated cross could be seen from Church Street, Hawthorn. The church was later to be demolished, and the land sold for the construction of modern villas.
- Inscriptions on reverse: "K.H.701. Congregational Church Walpole St Kew. First church in Kew. Now amalgamated with the United Churches."
- today at 10:02AM