The Stainsby Braillewriter was utilised by Braille tutors and volunteers as well the blind and visually impaired. Stored in a brown cardboard lockable case and this complete kit consists of a metal Braille writing machine; a long slim rectangular device with carriage and six silver keys and a bell, a metal board to attach Braille writer, a metal hinged Braille paper clamp and an instructional booklet. Henry Stainsby (1859-1925), Supt. of the Birmingham Royal Institution for the Blind, (later General Secretary of the British & Foreign Blind Association) along with Birmingham manufacturer Albert Wayne, introduced their portable brailler writer around 1903. An "improved" version, featuring aluminum parts and a paper clamp allowing accurate interpointing or interlining, was announced in "Outlook for the Blind" as early as 1927 and available generally by 1933 in the RNIB catalog. By 1978, RNIB sold the Improved Stainsby in a number of formats, including a large version available with interlining and inter-pointing board, and a small version with a folding board. Both large and small models came in ordinary and reverse keyed versions.
Silver Brailler, rectangular with six silver keys and a bell, with paper board and clip, in cardboard suitcase
Inscriptions & markings
M8839 M88 (Brailler) M 8839 (Board) On the outside of the suitcase an address label reads "Braille Library, 31-51 Commercial Road, South Yarra".