Charles Seelenmeyer conducted Concrete Utilities Limited (Harcourt Cement Pipe Factory). Operated in Harcourt circa 1914 to 1930 in premises situated opposite the ANA Hall on what is now the road reserve. Principal raw material was sand from the adjacent waterway ( Barkers Creek.) Principal output was concrete drainage tiles for use in district orchards but concrete blocks were also produced for construction of homes and commercial buildings. At a time of rapid expansion of the orchards this industry provided a vital piece of orchard infrastructure, mostly buried and not now visible but nevertheless a very important feature of the valley’s horticultural industry.. Homes built with these concrete blocks are a distinct part of Harcourt’s housing stock.
Harcourt Cement Pipe Co was an example of local initiative to solve a local problem using local materials.
A collection of 4 concrete building blocks