Harcourt branch of the Australian Natives Association was formed in 1908, meeting in a chaff shed behind the local grocer shop. In 1911 the branch contracted with Mr Sutherland of Barkers Creek to build a hall of boxed concrete construction. Sutherland was a pioneer in the use of concrete for structural purposes.He subsequently had a career as City Engineer at Camberwell. The ANA branch conducted many social occasions in the hall and gave community leadership for upwards of fifty years in addition to its friendly society/health insurance activities.. This was the only community hall in the Harcourt community until it was superseded by the Harcourt Leisure Centre in 1991 It is now the home of Harcourt Heritage Centre.
A community hall of pioneering construction method, provided to the community by a friendly society.
black and white postcard depicting a community hall
Inscriptions & markings
A N A Hall, Harcourt